Commercial Promotions/Internet Sites
The use of the Purdue's Trademarks in conjunction with a commercial promotion including a commercial Internet site may be permissible if the following criteria are met:
- The promotion or use must be beneficial to Purdue. This benefit may be tangible or intangible.
- The use must be consistent with Purdue's institutional mission, values, and standards of excellence.
- The use must be consistent with all other provisions of this policy.
Approval of such use must be granted by a management committee consisting of the Executive Vice President and Treasurer, Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer, Vice President for University Relations, and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics. Requests for approval shall be communicated to Purdue Trademark Licensing in writing. The University may require that such promotions operate under a promotional license, which would be issued by Purdue's licensing agent.
When a Purdue team is an invited participant in an event where the event sponsor's trademarks are used to name the event, Purdue allows the use of its Trademarks in conjunction with the sponsor’s/event's trademarks to promote the event. Purdue Trademark Licensing must specifically approve each such use.
Off Campus Commercial Advertising
The use of Purdue's Trademarks in advertisements in various media, including but not limited to TV, radio, print, and Internet, may be permissible if the following four criteria are met:
- The advertisement promotes the sale of officially licensed Purdue merchandise;
- The official Purdue University Seal is not used;
- The advertisement does not state or imply any endorsement of the company or its products by Purdue; and
- The advertisement artwork is approved in writing by the Purdue Trademark Licensing administrator prior to publication and complies with any other requirements imposed by the administrator.
Photographs/Illustrations of Purdue University
A license agreement IS required and royalties ARE due if:
- The picture or illustration is used as a graphic decoration on a commercial product.
- The packaging or advertisement for the product that contains or carries a photograph or illustration is presented in a manner that implies affiliation or association with Purdue.
- Purdue's Trademarks (including the name "Purdue") appear on any packaging or promotional materials and/or announcements that promote the merchandising of the product.
A license agreement is NOT required and NO royalties are due if:
- The photograph or illustration is being purchased for non-commercial (in-home) use.
- The photograph or illustration is to be used in a commercial establishment as decoration, but only in a manner that would not imply an affiliation, endorsement, or association with Purdue.
- The photograph or illustration is being used by a recognized news-gathering service for publication or broadcast.
- The photograph or illustration is being used in a historical context by a recognized news agency, publisher, or other service.
- The photograph or illustration is used in an entertainment or artistic context, such as commercial movies or TV shows. Purdue Trademark Licensing must receive written requests for this use and will forward them to the Vice President for University Relations for approval.