Commercial Product Design Approvals
Purdue Trademark Licensing reserves the right to approve each use of its Trademarks on a per product, per design basis. Licensees, or those given permission, will submit each proposed use, product, or design to Purdue Trademark Licensing or Purdue's authorized agent (for commercial products) for approval.
Purdue Trademark Licensing will not approve the use of its Trademarks on the following products:
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco or tobacco-containing products
- Legally controlled substances
- Sexually oriented products or designs
- Religious affiliated products or designs
- Political products or designs
- Games of chance
- Appliques, patches, or heat transfers for retail sale
In addition, Purdue Trademark Licensing will not approve the use of Trademarks in text or graphics which are judged to be sexually suggestive; denigrate any groups, including another college or university; or infringe on the rights of other trademark owners. Purdue Trademark Licensing will not approve products that do not, in Purdue Trademark Licensing's sole discretion, meet minimum standards of quality and/or good taste or those that are judged to be dangerous or carry high product liability risks.
Purdue Trademark Licensing will not approve the use of Trademarks on any product or design that, in Purdue Trademark Licensing's sole discretion, may violate NCAA rules. This applies to product designs incorporating:
- Jersey numbers, except on authentic or replica merchandise
- Photos or any other likeness of a current student athlete
- Names of student athletes
- Nicknames of student athletes
Purdue Trademark Licensing approves products or designs incorporating its current Trademarks. Trademarks that are obsolete or replaced by updated Trademarks continue to be protected and owned by Purdue University.