Jump to other news and events
Purdue signature

Purdue University -

AOD Links

Alcohol and Other Drugs
Frequently Asked Questions

I'm doing a project for a class. What does your office have available?

Visit Know It All for a quick source of information on important health topics. Also, our office has FREE brochures and other health information.  You can also borrow items such as models that show the effects of smokeless tobacco, a substance abuse kit, and other items.

If you'd like a guest speaker for your class, there are several options. You can contact our office at 765-494-9355, the Purdue Police Department at 765-494-8221 or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at 765-494-6995. 

I went to court for an alcohol violation and now I have to go to a class on campus. Where is the class located and how do I sign up?

You can find out about the court-referred program by visiting Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).

My roommate (or friend) has a drinking problem. What should I do?

Talking with the Drinker

If you care, show your concern. Don't be too polite to bring up the topic, but be tactful. Ask whether the person feels he or she has a drinking problem and continue asking questions that encourage frankness. Avoid sermons, lectures and verbal attacks. Keep an open mind about how the person evaluates his or her situation. And know your own limits - don't continue the conversation if you get upset or angry. You may find that short, periodic discussions of the problem work best.

Dealing with Defensiveness

Once you've raised the subject, the person may respond defensively, deny having a problem, or agree that he or she has a problem with alcohol. Make it clear to the problem drinker that you dislike the behavior, not the person. If you drink, be honest about your own drinking and attempts to control it. Understand that the person's defensiveness is based on fear of facing the problem and isn't directed at you.

Dealing with Denial

If your discussions have no effect on your friend's drinking behavior, you should still tell him or her how the drinking problem affects you. For example, you can say how hard it is for you to enjoy going out together to a party because you are afraid he or she will get sick, pass out, or otherwise embarrass you both.

Dealing with Agreement

If at some point your friend agrees that drinking is creating personal problems, you may want to ask:

  • Why do you think you have a problem with alcohol?
  • What do you think you can do about it?
  • What are you going to do about it?
  • What kinds of support do you need from me to stop or limit your drinking?
  • You may also want to have some referrals ready for your friend.

The above information is from Bucknell University's Health Services website.

Where To Go For Help

Here are some campus referrals for your friend.

Alcoholics Anonymous
Fellowship support, meets at the Purdue Memorial Union and University Church several times weekly

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
Confidential counseling and mental health services for Purdue students.

Office of the Dean of Students
Mental health services; academic and career counseling.

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability,
please contact Student Wellness Office at swo@purdue.edu

Purdue University Student Health Center, 601 Stadium Mall Dr, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-9355
© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints