Tuition Assistance and Indiana National Guard Benefits
Tuition Assistance (TA)Tuition Assistance (TA) is military benefit for persons still serving. Each branch of the service has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process, and restrictions. It is highly recommended that you start with your unit’s education office to determine your eligibility and what steps you need to take if you wish to apply.
- Complete appropriate application per military branch/education office instructions. For Army, Army Reserves, Army National Guard, and Air National Guard applications go through www.goarmyed.com.
- When your TA is approved please communicate with Purdue University’s Bursar Office to complete the process at www.purdue.edu/bursar. Please let them know that you are using Tuition Assistance.
Indiana National Guard Supplemental Grant (NGSG)The Indiana National Guard Supplemental Grant (NGSG) is a grant that guarantees up to 100% of certain tuition costs will be met by the State of Indiana for eligible members of the Indiana Air and Army National Guard; the NGSG covers only certain tuition charges and does not cover other expenses such as room and board or textbooks. It is subject to available funds. For more information go to www.in.gov and search National Guard Supplemental Grant.
- You must have filed a completed FAFSA by March 10th prior to the year you wish to attend college.
- Work with your unit’s education office to complete all the required ING paperwork and have all the paperwork approved by the appropriate ING education office before the start of classes.
- You can view your eligibility on the State Financial Aid website by going into eStudent at www.in.gov/ssaci.
- When your NGSG is approved please communicate with Purdue University’s Division of Financial Aid at www.purdue.edu/dfa. Please let them know that you are using the National Guard Supplemental Grant.
National Guard Extension ScholarshipThe National Guard Extension Scholarship is a limited scholarship available to former Guard members who left the Guard under honorable discharge conditions, used the NGSG in the past, and who served on active duty overseas since Sept. 10, 2001. For more information go to www.in.gov and search National Guard Extension Scholarship. Former Guardsman who believe they might qualify for this program and want additional information should contact:
Indiana Army National Guard Education Services Office, JFHQ-IN-J1-ARP-ES,
9301 East 59th Street
Lawrence, IN 46216
call (317) 964-7023