Welcome veterans, military students, and benefit using family members. Our mission is to ensure prompt delivery of veterans educational benefits to all eligible students. Give yourself plenty of lead time as applying for benefits with the Department of Veterans Affairs and requesting admission to Purdue University is a lengthy process. If you are a returning student ensure to communicate early with the Veterans Certifying Officials so your benefits are processed in a timely manner.

New Student Checklist:

VA Request for Enrollment Certification

In order to use your GI BILL at Purdue please complete the form below and return it to the Veteran Certifying Official in the Veterans Success Center.

Yellow Ribbon Program Application

Yellow Ribbon Fact Sheet

The Yellow Ribbon program is used in conjunction with the Post 9/11 GI BILL at the 100% eligibility rating to assist students with out-of-pocket expenses for non-resident tuition costs. To apply for this program for Fall 2014, complete the following form: 

The following is a fact sheet listing the criteria for the program: 

GI BILL Benefits:

*GI Bill is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

The GI BILL is a group of benefits available to veterans, service members, and immediate family members. For a complete explanation of GI BILL benefits go to http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill or call (888) 442-4551. The following is a current list of GI BILL benefits Purdue University processes:

  • Post 9/11 GI BILL—Chapter 33
  • Montgomery GI BILL for Active Duty (MGIB-AD)—Chapter 30
  • Montgomery GI BILL for Selected Reserves (MGIB-SR)—Chapter 1606
  • Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)—Chapter 1607
  • Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)—Chapter 31
  • Vietnam Education Assistance Program (VEAP)—Chapter 32
  • Post 9/11 GI BILL Transfer of Entitlement (TOE-approved by the Department of Defense)
  • Fry Scholarship
  • Dependent Education Assistance Program (DEAP)—Chapter 35

ATTENTION: Purdue University is not approved for the Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP). According to VA regulations, participants can only be enrolled in a VA approved program of education offered by a community college or technical school.

Area of Responsibility (AOR):

In order for your benefits to work smoothly it is important to understand the following relationship. Roll over for more information.

The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) is the controlling agency for all federal GI BILL benefits. The VA approves benefits as well as sets forth the policies and procedures that Purdue University is mandated to adhere. The VA also processes the GI BILL certifications sent from the Veteran Certifying Officials and issues payments based upon those certifications. The Veteran Certifying Officials (VCO) are Purdue University’s campus experts regarding GI BILL benefits. The VCO’s follow all federally mandated policies and procedures. The VCOs verifies your coursework is within these policies and procedures and sends to the VA a certification of all courses that qualify. If you have questions about your benefits they can explain how they help you obtain your Purdue education.
Your Academic Advisor is the expert regarding your program, but needs input from you in order to help you make decisions regarding the balance between your education and your benefits. One of the primary needs is that the VA requires all courses to count towards your degree. Unless you communicate to your advisor that you are a GI BILL student they many make recommendations to you that are educationally valuable, but you may find that the course may not be certified. Ultimately this is your education and your benefit and you are in the driver seat. It is your responsibility to understand your benefits as well as communicate with your Academic Advisor, the VA, and VCO any changes you make.

Military Call-Ups - What you need to know

Contact the Veterans Success Center and we will guide you through the process.

Contact Information

For questions concerning veteran affairs, please contact our Veterans Certifying Officials Teresa Harris or Sarah Underwood, located within the Veteran Success Center for assistance.

Veterans Success Center
Purdue Memorial Union 284/286
101 N Grant St
West Lafayette, Indiana 47906
(765) 494-7638 (Voice)
(765) 494-1545 (Fax)

Student Success at Purdue, KRCH 4th Floor, 1198 Third Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907, (765) 494-9328, studentsuccess@purdue.edu

2014 Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Student Success

If you have trouble accessing this page because of a disability, please contact Office of Student Success at studentsuccess@purdue.edu.