Exploratory Studies Scholars
If you are good at almost anything, how do you decide on just one major? Why not find the thing you will be great at? The Exploratory Studies Scholars Learning Community is specifically for high-achieving students in Exploratory Studies!
This LC offers courses and out-of-class activities that will help you and students like you in your quest to find the right major at Purdue. You will have time to explore your potential in a setting that is academically, professionally, and socially engaging. Courses in the LC will be the Exploratory Studies-only course EDPS 10500 (Academic and Career Planning) and an honors section of COM 11400 (Fundamentals of Communication), both of which will be taken with the same group students. The instructor for the EDPS course will also be your academic advisor in Exploratory Studies. You will also have the option to live together in one of the residence halls, further enhancing the sense of community. Events are planned by your instructors to enrich course content and add to your college experience. Some of the activities you can participate in include: classroom discussions, Learning Community dinners, team-building and leadership activities like the Boiler Challenge Ropes Course, end-of-the-semester bowling party, movie nights, and special visits and tours across campus.
We hope you will consider applying for this exciting and talented community. You have always been a good student; the Exploratory Studies Scholars LC can help you discover where you will be great!
- First-time beginning students admitted to Exploratory Studies who have an interest in learning about Honors opportunities at Purdue
- This LC is available to Honors College participants; those students will live in Shreve Hall with the Honors College and participate in the course(s) and activities of the LC
- OPTIONAL in Owen Hall
- If you choose this option, your roommate in most cases will be a member of the LC
- Completing a housing contract is a separate process from applying for the LC
Fall 2016 Semester
EDPS 10500, COM 11400H
Events and Activities Included:
- Boiler Challenge ropes course
- Cultural center tours
- Introduction to Purdue resources
- Purdue Volleyball games
- Periodic meals with faculty members
- Visit to Special Collections and Archives library
- After-dinner speeches
- Movie and bowling nights
Information above is subject to change. If you are placed in the LC, the associated courses will be on your schedule prior to you registering for the rest of your courses.