Wanted: Engineering students interested in exploring engineering-related multicultural themes through community involvement. If this sounds like you, consider the IDEAS (Introducing Diversity through Engagement and Service) Learning Community. Using service to the community and class discussions, you will explore the place of engineering in today’s significant social issues. You will also have the opportunity to form close relationships with your fellow community members and instructors — both in and out of class. IDEAS features three linked classes, including a special, significantly smaller section of Chemistry 115. As Chemistry is one of the linked classes, students must be eligible for enrollment in chemistry by showing proficiency in algebra/trigonometry or placement in a calculus class. Because we believe that learning is fostered through an exchange of different perspectives, we seek to enroll students from a broad range of racial and ethnic backgrounds in this Learning Community.
- First-time beginning students admitted to the First-Year Engineering Program or to Pre-ABE in the College of Agriculture
- This LC is not available to Honors College participants
- REQUIRED in Earhart Hall
- Your roommate in most cases will be a member of the LC
- Completing a housing contract is a separate process from applying for the LC
Fall 2014 Semester
Fall – CHM 11500, ENGR 10300, ENGR 13100
Events and Activities Included:
- Engineering picnic
- Pool party at professor’s home
- Introduction to Purdue campus resources
- Tour of Caterpillar Factory
- Trip to Turkey Run State Park
- Engineering-based community service project
Information above subject to change. If you are placed in the LC, the associated courses will be on your schedule prior to you registering for the rest of your classes.