Would you like to meet other students who share a common interest in protecting the environment? The Environmental Sciences Learning Community provides you with an opportunity to explore emerging problems and innovative solutions concerning the environment. The study of the environment is an interdisciplinary science. As a member of this LC, you will learn first-hand how to apply knowledge of hydrology, climate, chemistry, and biology to real world problems. You will participate in shared classroom and practical hands-on activities to experience a first-hand look into environmental sciences. How does a Wind Farm work? How do you take water samples? You will answer these questions and more through educational field trips with this Learning Community. Get to know faculty and your peers through social events held throughout the semester. Students from Pre-Environmental Studies, Natural Resources and Environmental Science, and Exploratory Studies are eligible to participate in this community.
- First-time beginning students in the College of Agriculture, especially majors in Pre-environmental Science, Entomology, Natural Resources and Environmental Science, Botany and Plant Pathology
- First-time beginning students in the College of Science majoring in Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
- First-time beginning students in the College of Liberal Arts
- First-time beginning students in Exploratory Studies
- This LC is available to Honors College participants; those students will live in Shreve Hall with the Honors College and participate in the course(s) and activities of the LC.
- OPTIONAL in McCutcheon Hall
- If you choose this option, your roommate in most cases will be a member of the LC
- Completing a housing contract is a separate process from applying for the LC
Fall 2014 Semester
Fall – NRES 29000, AGR 12200, ENGL 10600
Events and Activities Included:
- Fall social
- Agricultural Career Fair
- Wade Power Plant tour
- Wind Farm tour
- Guest speakers
- Water sampling at Martell Forest
- Boiler Challenge ropes course
- Meals with professors
- Waste Management field trip
Information above is subject to change. If you are placed in the LC, the associated courses will be on your schedule prior to you registering for the rest of your courses.