About the Student Advisory Board
If you have excelled in one of the Academic Success Center's courses, we invite you to apply to be a Student Advisory Board member. This is an opportunity to share what you have learned and contribute to the academic success of your peers. To help you lead workshops, we have created a one credit hour class that will give you the skills and training you need to feel comfortable in front of your peers. The class will begin each fall. If accepted, we will ask that you register for this one credit course, GS 490W ASC Student Advisory Board Peer Training.
The role of the ASC Student Advisory Board member is to:
- Be a role model for your peers and contribute to their academic success.
- Promote and support the ASC with students, faculty and staff.
- Represent the ASC at various University functions (Boiler Gold Rush etc.).
- Provide student input on support services and ASC promotional materials.
- Lead invited workshops for student housing units.
- Be available to share your ASC experiences with ASC/GS classes.
- Advise on formulation of Student Advisory Board policies.
Requirements for serving on the ASC Student Advisory Board include:
- Being a student in good standing and sophomore status by fall semester of 2007
- Receiving an A or B in a GS class offered through the Academic Success Center.
- Completing requirements in one credit hour training class referred to above.
- Being enthusiastic about helping your peers succeed academically.
- Willing to participate in and lead discussions for student groups.
- Share experiences in a variety of settings
Rewards of serving on the ASC Student Advisory Board:
- The opportunity to improve communication and group leadership skills.
- The opportunity to work with faculty and staff.
- A cool T-shirt designed by SAB – to be worn at functions.
- Having fun with other students.
- Impressive skills that you can use to build your resume.