The Online Mentoring for Success (OMS) is a program that will help students successfully complete their courses through the efforts of the online mentors (E-Coaches). Coaches are assigned to students in courses they have taken and successfully passed. Coaches keep track of their students throughout the semester and help them as they work through the course. They will work with the course professors to run Course Signals or Early Warning System—interfaces that help students know where they stand academically.
Electronic Coaches (E-Coaches) will assist the Student Success at Purdue department by providing academic guidance and coaching to students in specified courses. Coaches will communicate to students via text messages and emails. They will also use technologies such as Blackboard, Course Signals, and Early Warning System to aid in the process of achieving our end goal of helping underclassmen in being successful with their courses!
Directly supervised by: Samuel Nekvasil
Specific duties include:
- Maintaining contact with the course professor to keep abreast of course material
- Utilizing and assisting the professor with Course Signals, Early Warning System
- Contacting each student in the class via e-mail, texting, or face contact
- Tracking student progression throughout the semester
- Following up with students regarding recommendations given to improve academic standing.
- Promoting academic success opportunities
- Participating in ongoing training/group meetings
- Submitting bi-weekly report to your supervisor
- Required minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0
- Will have taken and passed the course for which he or she will coach
- Must be a sophomore or higher
- Have reliable access to computer/internet
- Work-study students are preferred but not required