One of the purpose's of the ASC is to help strengthen campus partnerships through collaboration on campus-wide initiatives. Below you will find some of the projects we are currently working on.
In response to the Foundation of Excellence recommendation to increase collaboration and coordination of undergraduate academic success programs, a committee of faculty and staff representing various help centers, resource rooms, and academic assistance programs was formed to discuss best practices and increase collaboration. From these discussions, Purdue University’s Tutor Rights, Responsibilities and Ethics document was created to establish guidelines and expectations for students giving and receiving academic assistance.
In partnership with the Director of Academic Advising, we developed a study skills course targeted at incoming "Academically At-Risk" students based on pre-college characteristics. We worked with advisors to recruit at-risk students for the course and developed a plan to guide their interaction with the students. We are also Developing an Academic Success Center framework and process for mentors and advisors to assess current student skill application and self-regulation ability.
Campus partners who offer workshops and resources to students to improve learning strategies and skills were brought together to form a collaborative think tank. This group aim to accomplish the following:
- Review and validate learning strategies materials.
- Question whether materials are aligned with best practices and empirical research.
- Collaborate and brainstorm ways to insert learning strategies.
- Provide the Purdue campus with consistent and coordinated information for their success.
In partnership with the Director of Advising, Sandy Monroe, we are working on an initiative to encourage students to register for 15 credit hours a semester (ultimately 30 a year). The goals are to:
- Build student awareness about progress toward degree.
- Align with state goals of encouraging students take take 30 credits a year.
- Strenghten advisor/student relationship.
For a list of academic advisors by college, please visit the Academic Advising website.