||STUDENT SERVICES TECHNOLOGY & ASSESSMENT - Director
Steven D. Baker
Experiences & Accomplishments
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- 25 years of delivering IT solutions to business - focus on client/server, networking & Internet access.
- 10 years of IT management – hire/fire, budget, salary admin, & multi-site staff.
- Staff Development of technical & non-technical skills leading to Consultant or Management positions.
- 15 years of IT project management – delivery on-time & with-in budget – up to $45 million & 50 staff.
- Building user relationships & aligning IT Strategic initiatives with Business Unit Strategic Plans using SWOT.
- Broad knowledge in all IT areas – led enterprise-wide architecture standardization for a large corporation.
- Proactively seeks out & drives change for improving business processes to increase profitability.
- Internet, e-Business, Security, & Networking Certified.
- MBA Certificate.
- PMP Certified.
NX COMMUNICATIONS LLC – startup Internet Service Provider - Marion IN – 3 years
Director, Technical Service (1999 to 2002)
- Established and Managed a Technical Service Department.
- Implemented custom networks with high speed Internet Access & Web Services for business clients.
- Supervised support of internal Internet connectivity systems (DNS, Proxy, Firewall, Anti-virus, Email, Web
Hosting, Server Hosting, Content Filtering, VPN, etc).
- Performed Technical Purchasing.
HOUSEHOLD INTERNATIONAL – largest US consumer finance firm – Chicago IL – 5 years
- Established Policies & Procedures for department, increasing staff efficiency from 60 to 88% (47% increase).
- Developed a tracking database for the service workload. This resulted in 100% billing, making NX consistently
profitable on a monthly basis.
- Established vendor relationships to get pricing discounts, which decreased COGS from 75% to 62% of sales.
This doubled the annual net profit for NX.
Promoted to Asst. Vice President of Distributed Systems (1997 to 1998)
- Directed staff of System Engineers & Architects – interfaced with departments in a 1,000 person IT shop.
- Project manager for implementation of 2,000 Unix servers used for client/server applications.
- Administered a $5 million expense budget.
- Balanced L3 support needs with change requests and new project demands.
- Had final approval & purchasing authority for all UNIX architecture decisions, a $25 million capital budget.
- Developed Capacity, Disaster Recovery, and Strategic IT Plans with business units.
Started as Manager, Application Development for Lending & Banking Systems (1994 to 1996)
- Saved $500,000 annual ongoing (10%) in my budget by restructuring vendor support.
- Proposed, justified & directed the effort to consolidate multiple UNIX servers to Sun E10,000 servers &
implement EMC Storage SANs. Received CIO Quality Manager Award for this effort.
- Implemented policies, procedures and custom personal goals to improve staff morale. This led to decreased
turnover and the way to becoming 100% staffed, which allowed project deadlines to be met.
- Managed a project to implement 1,500 servers and 7,500 PC/LANs in a nationwide branch network.
- Initiated & implemented projects that reduced the number of non-standard supported systems from 25 to 15.
- Implemented procedures that decreased problem resolution time by 50%. Included transfer of people to
- Initiated a charge-back system for UNIX systems to centralize control & lower overall costs.
- Managed a staff of programmer/analysts who developed client/server applications with legacy system
interfaces. Developed the corporation’s first OO application in Powerbuilder, now used as the global OO tool.
- Project Manager for applications requested by business units – used SDLC, JAD, RAD, OO methodologies.
- Liaison to business units - determined project requirements and implemented cost-effective solutions.
IBM – world’s largest computer products and services company – Chicago IL – 10 years
- Directed the two-year development effort of a client/server Solicitation & Leads Management system for 1,500
retail branches that increased sales by 30%. Received a 100-share company stock award for this effort.
- Managed the development of a client/server branch banking platform application.
- Led a company-wide global architecture effort to reduce the number of IT development tools and platforms
supported. The first year’s effort allowed the redirection of 10 FTE from maintenance mode to development.
- Authored an IT Strategic Plan mapped to a Business Unit's Strategic Plan.
- Directed the effort to develop a new Sales Plan Compensation system that gave complete control of sales plan
administration to the users rather than having to request programming changes.
- Initiated an "Account Manager for a Day" program to expose my staff to the business processes we supported.
Promoted to Client Account Manager (1990 to 1994)
- Account Relationship Manager for Household International, responsible for sales and customer satisfaction.
- Multi-million dollar sales quota - selling solutions that ranged from the mainframe to desktop systems.
- Responsible for all levels of customer satisfaction on the account, from technical staff to business executives.
Promoted to Advisory Systems Engineer (1988 to 1989)
- Exceeded sales quota all four years.
- Gained participation in Household’s strategic planning conferences, both the technical and business side.
- Initiated & managed a project to get Household's branch equipment maintenance records accurate and the
invoices paid on time. This resulted in increased customer satisfaction & a decrease in A/R day's outstanding.
- Public Speaker at IBM Finance Conferences for groups up to several hundred.
Started as Account System Engineer (1985 to 1987)
- Provided technical sales support & install base product support focusing on network and distributed systems.
- Provided project implementation plans and support to client.
- Provided customer satisfaction resolutions.
- Managed my customer’s implementation of it’s 415 bank branch automation project across the US & UK. This
effort brought in $25 million of revenue over three years. I was the architect & PM of the solution.
- Sold & implemented a mainframe e-mail system for 15,000 users. Included development of custom training.
- Sold & supported an AS/400 system used by 150 collectors, assisted vendor in porting mainframe COBOL.
AWARDS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- MBA Certificate from Tulane University (Ranked 28th internationally) with honors.
- MBA Finance courses from Northwestern University as arranged by IBM.
- BS from Purdue University in Applied Engineering with honors.
- Leadership, Management, and Teamwork courses at IBM & Household.
- PMI’s PMP Certification in progress (passed PMI Knowledge Assessment & exam sitting scheduled).
- IT Certifications: i-Net+, e-Biz+, Security+, & Network+.
- Household: 100% of Management Bonuses all 5 years + Stock Award in 1997 + CIO Quality Award in 1998.
- IBM: Branch Manager Award 5 times + Regional Manager Award in 1990 + Area Manager Award in 1992.
- Charter member of Marion Optimist Club & Volunteer at local hospital in 2001.
- Elected Board Member for SHORE Community Services for the mentally & physically handicapped in1992.
- Purdue: Elected housing President; Campus champs in softball; Charter member of honorary fraternity.