What to do with a new computer
- Determine your support structure for the new computer.
- Is there an IT service in charge of installing and updating this computer?
- Is there a support contact at Purdue who will help with the computer?
- Is the computer 100 percent your own responsibility?
If you answered "yes" to 1 or 2, continue on to Step 3. Afterwards, check with your support service to determine what, if anything, they need you to do.
If you answered "yes" to 3, continue to Step 2.
- Install and use an antivirus software package, if not already included on the computer.
- McAfee VirusScan is freely available for Purdue University students, faculty, and staff, for use both at work and at home.
- To download VirusScan, use your Internet browser to visit the SecurePurdue Downloads page.
- If your computer comes pre-loaded with anti-virus software, be sure you subscribe to the product's automatic update service.
- For optimum performance, you should only run one antivirus product at a time. Prior to installing McAfee antivirus software on your machine, please go to Add/Remove Programs and remove any previously installed software, including previously installed McAfee antivirus software.
- Turn on your Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall:
- For more information about using ICF, see: http://www.purdue.edu/securepurdue/assets/docs/icf.pdf
- Open Internet Explorer and browse to the following page: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/. Follow the instructions on the resulting Microsoft Windows Update page to update your operating system with the latest patches and bug fixes.
- Install anti-spyware software.
- Purdue University provides built-in anti-spyware software within the VirusScan Home Edition product. This product is available for use on Purdue staff, faculty and student personally owned hardware and can be obtained from the SP software download site located at https://communityhub.purdue.edu/storefront. To access this site, you'll need to authenticate with your Purdue Career Account credentials.
- Purdue University provides VirusScan Enterprise and McAfee Anti-Spyware Enterprise (two separate software downloads) for installation on Purdue University owned-equipment. This software can also be obtained from the SecurePurdue software download site.
- If you are using the computer to access Purdue resources off campus, set up and use the VPN service.