Quick Reference Guides
Purdue Drop-in Text
Find up-to-date "boilerplate" text for Purdue institutional resources and facilities at the OVPR e-Pubs site for use, either in entirety or pertinent portions, in proposals submitted to funding agencies. Documents are searchable by keyword and include citations to avoid plagiarism.
Self-Help Tools for Proposal Preparation
This series provides step-wise guidance, samples, and/or tailorable text for some of the non-research-related requirements of a proposal submission. *Note: Only accessible from the purdue.edu domain.
Broader Impacts Resources
All NSF proposals must include a section within the Project Description that discusses the broader impacts of the proposed activities. The resources below may be helpful in completing this requirement.
Data Management Plans
All NSF proposals must include a supplementary document labeled "Data Management Plan" that describes how results from NSF funded research will be shared with other researchers. The resources below may be helpful in completing this requirement.
Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan
All HHS applications that propose multiple PD/PIs must include a Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan. The resource below may be helpful in completing this requirement.
Department of Energy
- The Foundation Center Offers a wide-range of proposal training opportunities via audio, video, workshops, or webinars, many at no cost and/or multilingual.
- Find and Apply User Guide, Ver. 4.0, last modified October 9, 2010.
Use this guide to find step-by-step instructions on finding grant opportunities using a basic search, browse by category, browse by agency or advanced search. There are also instructions on how to apply, download, complete, and track an application.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
National Science Foundation
National Institutes of Health
- NIH Grant Application Basics
- SF424 Application Guide and Electronic Submission Information, includes links to the SF424 Application Guide along with format pages for NIH Biosketches, Targeted/Planned Enrollment Tables, and other Data Tables.
- NIH Grant Writing Tips Sheets, This includes links to individual NIH Institutes' guides and tip
- Grants Tutorials from the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, including links to many topics, such as: "How to Write an Application Involving Research Animals," "NIAID Human Subjects Application and Grant Handbook," and Sample Annotated R01 and R21 Applications.
- NIH Quick Guide for Grant Applications, Last modified September 2010. The 12-page guide is organized according to the major sections of the SF 424 (or PHS398) Grant Application Instructions.
- NIH All About Grants Podcasts, These short podcasts provide insights on grant topics including current topics at the agency, how to prepare a successful grant application, how application reviews work, and more.
- NIH Mock Review Panel Video
- Writing a Successful Career (K) Application, as presented at the April 2012 NIH Regional Conference.
- Preparing an NIH Institutional Training Grant Application, as presented at the April 2012 NIH Regional Conference.
United States Department of Agriculture
The link below lists sample proposals available through the OVPR. Please contact Mary Ryker at 49-49322 to arrange to view or receive copies of funded proposals.
Sample Proposals by Agency and Program