The Purdue Animal Care and Use Committee (PACUC) and the Laboratory Animal Program (LAP) perform distinct and complementary roles to ensure animal well being in research, testing, and teaching.
PACUC and LAP work together to conduct facilities inspections and investigate areas of concern.
- Reviews animal care and use protocols.
- Assures that animal care and use is performed in accordance with protocols.
- PACUC provides training for maintaining and documenting regulatory compliance.
- PACUC identifies facility deficiencies.
- Reports of "areas of concerns" are made to PACUC.
- provides veterinary care.
- assures that animal housing, environments, and husbandry practices are consistent with federal policies.
- provides training in the performance of PACUC procedures.
- LAP documents that deficiencies have been corrected in a timely manner.
- LAP assesses and remedies reported areas of concern.
- LAP ensures that corrective actions are implemented.