International Travel Grants
Download as PDF document
The purpose of the International Travel Grant Program is to assist Purdue faculty members in scholarly achievement by providing a portion of the travel costs to those who will participate in an international research project or presenting or as an official at recognized international research meetings. Foreign travel, as internally defined by the EVPRP is any travel outside of the continental United States and Alaska and Hawaii.
For internal deadline dates and instructions on how to apply for a PRF International Travel Grant, please refer to the cover memo from the dean or department head's office. Each college/school will establish its own internal deadline and specific directions for application.
- Allocation notices, spreadsheets and instructions will be sent to academic deans from the office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships (EVPRP) during the fall semester. If you have any questions, please contact Shelley Burton at email@example.com.
- Faculty will be notified of internal department/school/college deadlines via their department head and/or dean's office.
- The PRF International Travel Application Form should be completed and forwarded to the dean of the college/school. Each college or school will establish its own internal deadline and specific directions for application.
- Awards will be announced by each department/school/college upon completion of their award process.
Tenured and Tenure-track or research faculty with a full time appointment who supervise Ph.D. research are eligible. A faculty member may not have two International Travels Grants in one fiscal year.
Recipients of PRF International Travel awards will receive up to $2,000 toward the cost of all approved travel expenses. Recipients can only receive one travel award in a fiscal year. The total endowment available is quite modest. The program, therefore, should not be regarded as a likely source of support, supplanting established governmental or private sources of travel funds. In cases where partial funding is available from alternative sources, the recipient of a grant may combine the awards to cover the allowable costs of the trip.
Travel grants will be made upon recommendation of the academic deans. Recognizing the differences that exist among the various colleges/schools of the University, latitude is given to the deans in setting additional criteria for application and award of travel grants within their college or school. A statement on the eligibility and criteria for International Travel Grants should be distributed to the faculty from their dean.
Payment of Grant Following Award
Instructions for West Lafayette & Regional Campuses Faculty:
The grant award will be processed through Concur. After receiving notice of the award, please contact the departmental business office to receive the PRF International Travel Grant payment.
Instructions for IUPUI Faculty
The PRF International Travel Grants awarded to IUPUI faculty will be processed by IUPUI. Please contact the appropriate IUPUI College for additional instructions. IUPUI - College of Engineering and Technology: 317-278-3010; IUPUI - College of Science: 317-274-8977
- These funds are to assist research and tenured or tenure-track faculty members in scholarly attainment by providing a portion of the travel costs to those who will participate in an international research project or presenting or as an official at recognized international research meetings. Examples of non-eligible travel: Travel for teaching purposes [overseas university guest lecturer; teaching a course at an international university, etc.]; Travel to sabbatical destination.
- Each college/school is responsible for determining, announcing, and managing the awards to their faculty following the guidelines and regulations established for the PRF International Travel Grant competition.
- The award amount will be up to $2,000.
- Awards are no longer restricted to transportation expenses only. The amount awarded can be used for all approved travel expenses up to the amount of award.
- Research and tenured or tenure-track faculty members must continue employment with Purdue University on either an academic-year or twelve-month appointment in the following fiscal year to be eligible for a given year's PRF International Travel Grant.
- Colleges/schools are asked to provide the Excel spreadsheet describing how the funds were used to the EVPRP, and request disposition of any unused grants that remain from that year's allocation. Instructions will be sent during the fall semester.
- Travel dates must be within the awarded or next Fiscal Year (July 1-June 30).
- These funds are for international travel only.
- For general PRF International Travel Grant competition information, contact Shelley Burton, EVPRP, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For PRF International Travel Grant competition inquiries specific to your unit, contact your academic dean's offices or regional campus contact. (Purdue Calumet: Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs; Purdue Fort Wayne: Director of Sponsored Programs; Purdue North Central: Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.)
- For information on a PRF Travel Advance, please contact PRF, 765-588-3470 (West Lafayette, IN)
*Purdue Calumet: Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs
*Purdue Fort Wayne : Director of Sponsored Programs
*Purdue North Central: Assistant Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs