Grant Writing Resources
Quick Reference Guides
- Proposal Prep 101
- Where do I go for Help with...?
- A Guide to the Grants Process at Purdue University This booklet, created by EVPRP Research Development staff, includes useful information regarding processes and resources related to funding and research grant administration at Purdue. A must read for new faculty.
- Preparing for a Conversation with Your Program Manager
Find up-to-date "boilerplate" text for Purdue institutional resources and facilities at the EVPRP e-Pubs site for use, either in entirety or pertinent portions, in proposals submitted to funding agencies. Documents are searchable by keyword and include citations to avoid plagiarism.
This series provides step-wise guidance, samples, and/or tailorable text for some of the non-research-related requirements of a proposal submission. *Note: Only accessible from the purdue.edu domain.
- Tool # 1: Management Plan Self-Assessment
- Tool # 2: Annotated Letters of Individual or Institutional Commitment
- Tool # 3: Postdoctoral Mentoring Plan Template
- Tool # 4: Preparing Major or Shared Research Instrumentation Proposals
Broader Impacts Resources
All NSF proposals must include a section within the Project Description that discusses the broader impacts of the proposed activities. The resources below may be helpful in completing this requirement.
- Virtual Rolodex of Potential Education and Outreach Partners Proposal-focused information on campus resources you can leverage for broad impacts.
- Steps to Leveraging Campus Resources for Broader Impacts This figure walks you through best practices for incorporating broader impacts in your research proposal.
- NSF Merit Review FAQs from January 2013 These FAQs help clarify recent policy changes for merit review of broader impacts.
- Center for Ocean Sciences Education Excellence's Broader Impacts 2.0® This excellent document from COSEE helps to clarify the broader impacts criterion and provides practical tips for addressing broader impacts in your proposal.
- 2014 Changes in STEM Education Research Initiatives This page provides an overview of what researchers need to know when preparing new proposals for STEM Ed projects.
Data Management Plans
All NSF proposals must include a supplementary document labeled "Data Management Plan" that describes how results from NSF funded research will be shared with other researchers. The resources below may be helpful in completing this requirement.
- Purdue's Research Repository (PURR) - this site contains step-by-step instructions for completing the data management plan requirements.
- HUBzeroTM - this resource is available to Purdue researchers for storing research data. The website also offers citable boilerplate text that can be inserted into the DMP.
- NSF Data Management Plan (DMP) Includes NSF Data Sharing Policy, DMP Requirements by Directorate, Office, Division, Program or Unit; and DMP and Sharing FAQs.
- Sample DMP Content Outline
- Generic Example of a DMP
- Self-Assessment Document to guide faculty through identifying issues that should be reflected in the DMP.
Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan
All HHS applications that propose multiple PD/PIs must include a Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan. The resource below may be helpful in completing this requirement.
- Multiple PD/PI Leadership Plan Samples as provided by NIH
Department of Energy
- The Foundation Center Offers a wide-range of proposal training opportunities via audio, video, workshops, or webinars, many at no cost and/or multilingual.
- Find and Apply User Guide, Ver. 4.0, last modified October 9, 2010. Use this guide to find step-by-step instructions on finding grant opportunities using a basic search, browse by category, browse by agency or advanced search. There are also instructions on how to apply, download, complete, and track an application.
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
- NASA Guidebook, January 2013
National Science Foundation
- NSF Proposal and Award Policies and Procedures Guide (PAPP) This guide provides specific NSF requirements for proposal preparation, including such issues as font choice, margins, and biosketches, as well as definitions and a list of acronyms.
- NSF User-Friendly Handbook for Project Evaluation, A basic guide for those who need to learn more about the evaluation process within a project funded by NSF.
- NSF SBIR/STTR Sample Postdoc Mentoring Plan, This sample can also be adapted for non-SBIR/STTR plans (opens as a Microsoft Word doc).
National Institutes of Health
- NIH Grant Application Basics
- SF424 Application Guide and Electronic Submission Information, includes links to the SF424 Application Guide along with format pages for NIH Biosketches, Targeted/Planned Enrollment Tables, and other Data Tables.
- NIH Grant Writing Tips Sheets, This includes links to individual NIH Institutes' guides and tip sheets.
- Grants Tutorials from the National Institutes of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, including links to many topics, such as: "How to Write an Application Involving Research Animals," "NIAID Human Subjects Application and Grant Handbook," and Sample Annotated R01 and R21 Applications.
- NIH Quick Guide for Grant Applications, Last modified September 2010. The 12-page guide is organized according to the major sections of the SF 424 (or PHS398) Grant Application Instructions.
- NIH All About Grants Podcasts, These short podcasts provide insights on grant topics including current topics at the agency, how to prepare a successful grant application, how application reviews work, and more.
- NIH Mock Review Panel Video
- Writing a Successful Career (K) Application, as presented at the April 2012 NIH Regional Conference.
- Preparing an NIH Institutional Training Grant Application, as presented at the April 2012 NIH Regional Conference.
United States Department of Agriculture