Summer Faculty Grants
- Application Submission
- Supplementation during the PRF/SFG Period
- Summer Employment outside the PRF/SFG Grant Period
- Regulatory Compliance
PRF Summer Faculty Grants (PRF/SFG) will be distributed through the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships (EVPRP). Summer Faculty Grant awards provide faculty salary to enable successful applicants to continue full-time scholarly work during the summer and may not be held concurrently with any other appointment.
- Allocation notices, spreadsheets and instructions will be sent to academic deans from the office of the Executive Vice President for Research and Partnerships (EVPRP) during the fall semester. If you have any questions, please contact the EVPRP Business Office at email@example.com.
- Faculty will be notified of internal department/school/college deadlines via their department head and/or dean's office.
- Awards will be announced by each department/school/college upon completion of their award process.
The awards are for full-time, research or tenure-track, academic year faculty members, who will be employed by the University in the following academic year, and are in the early stages of their careers. Qualified applicants must fall into one of the three categories listed below:
- Untenured assistant or associate professor; or an
- Associate professor who obtained tenure no more than three years prior to the summer for which they are requesting support.
- Applicants can receive up to two Summer Faculty Grants.
- Projects for the development of a course or teaching laboratory are not eligible
The application should contain the following documents as part of the application process:
- Application Form (One faculty member per application)
- Document of work not to exceed five double-spaced pages which includes: abstract; statement of the problem; significance of the problem; and a plan of research.
- Vitas (no more than two pages per faculty member)
Proposals should be written in terms appropriate for reviewers who are familiar with the general area of the proposed research but whose expertise may not specifically coincide with the topic of the proposal. The application form contains a check-off list for research involving animals (PACUC), humans (IRB), and/or recombinant DNA, infectious agents, or unfixed human fluids, human tissues, or human cell lines (IBC). If your plan of research requires any of these regulatory approvals, you must indicate this by checking the appropriate space on the application cover page.
Proposals should be submitted to the academic dean of the college/school. The dean will then refer all proposals received to a faculty committee from the college/school for evaluation. The number of copies required varies with the particular unit. There are no format requirements except that the Application Form must be used as the cover page.
Academic Deans will notify faculty members of their internal deadline and application procedures. Each college/school will be responsible for sending award, alternate, and regret letters. No proposal copies or application forms are needed.
Announcements of the awards will be made by each department/college/school upon completion of their award process.
Proposals will be evaluated by a committee of faculty from the college/school who are appointed by the academic dean. Each academic unit committee is free to develop an evaluation procedure that they feel is appropriate. Academic unit committees will be asked to base their evaluation on scholarly merit as well as the promise of contribution to the field and the growth of the scholar. Among applications of equal merit, preference should be given to those applicants who have not had previous Summer Faculty Grant (SFG) awards.
Within the funds provided, the colleges or school can provide an annual salary at an appropriate support level for each faculty member. A PRF/SFG recipient can receive a faculty salary for up to two summer months (8-weeks) of employment which supports the work outlined in their proposal. The recipient may not hold another appointment during the same two month grant period.
The EVPRP business office will work with the recipient's departmental business office to process payment.
Supplementation during the PRF/SFG Period
While the PRF/SFG provides salary for two summer months (eight weeks) of employment, the amount provided might not be equivalent to the full salary the recipient would receive for that time period unless the college/department chooses to allocate less summer faulty grants than awarded. The academic department may supplement the grant up to the equivalent (100 percent salary) that could have been received for two summer months of employment under the Guidelines for Summer Session Support issued by the Provost's Office. The use of other sponsored research funds is not allowable. However, the use of "start-up" funds will be allowed. If the academic department chooses to supplement the grant, this supplement must support the purpose for which the grant was received and cannot represent additional assignments.
Summer Employment outside the PRF/SFG Grant Period
Summer appointments before or after the grant period are allowable subject to the summer session support guidelines relevant to the funding source of the appointment(s). Refer to the Guidelines for Summer Session Support issued by the Provost's Office to determine the impact of the receipt of the grant and any supplement on the total amount the recipient can earn during the summer session.
If the scholarly work involves the use of animals (PACUC), humans (IRB), and/or recombinant DNA, infectious agents, or unfixed human fluids, human tissues, or human cell lines (IBC), all appropriate approvals must be secured prior to distribution of Summer Faculty Grant funds. Funds cannot be awarded retroactive to the University approvals.
- For PRF Summer Faculty Grant competition inquiries specific to a department/college or school, contact the academic dean's office or regional campus contact.
- For questions regarding receipt of the award payment, contact the departmental business office.