Vertical Menu Bar
Vertical Menu Bar2
550 Stadium Mall Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2051
Information: (765) 49-46371
Fax: (765) 49-47403
Office Location: HAMP B173
Campus Mail: REM, HAMP
March 5, 2014
To open PDF documents, you may need to download Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Booklets and Guidelines
Many manuals, booklets, policy statements, and other informational documents are available from REM. If what you're looking for is not represented here, contact REM at 49-46371.
- Abbreviations, Acronyms, and Chemical Formulas - This is an alphabetical listing of over 1000 chemicals that have been compiled in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet format that is suitable to use as key for deciphering the labels abbreviations and/or acronyms and or chemical formulae are used. There is a tab for the cover page as well as a tab for the chemical listings suitable for printing.
- Aerial Work Platform Safety Program - This document contains practices and procedures to protect employees from the hazards associated with working on aerial work platforms (AWP) supported by scissors, masts or booms.
- Asbestos-Containing Materials: Notice to Building Occupants
- Biohazardous Waste Disposal: Safety Guidelines - This single page document contains some helpful hints for disposing of biomaterials.
- Biological Safety Manual - This booklet contains the Federal, State, as well as Purdue University's requirements and expectations for all staff and students whose work or studies involve biological hazards.
- Bloodborne Pathogens Exposure Control Plan - Federal, State, and Purdue University requirements and expectations for all staff and students whose work or studies involve exposure to human blood and blood products (i.e., tissues, cell lines, and any other body fluid that could mask the presence of blood). (2007)
- Chemical Hygiene Plan and Hazardous Materials Safety Manual - This manual gives Federal, State, and University requirements and expectations relating to the OSHA Laboratory Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1450. This standard applies to areas engaged in the laboratory use of hazardous chemicals. (2014)
- Chemicals Requiring Designated Areas Lists - The OSHA Laboratory Standard requires that you designate areas for work with any of these materials.
- Confined Space Program - This manual contains the procedures and practices for safe entry into confined spaces locations at Purdue University that may have atmospheric conditions and/or physical hazards present. These areas include: manholes, wet-wells, vaults, tanks, boilers, silos, bins, pits, sumps, and sanitary and storm sewers.
- Control of Hazardous Energy Program (Lockout/Tagout Manual) - This manual gives the Federal, State, and University requirements and expectations relating to the OSHA regulation, 29 CFR 1910.147. (2000)
- Electrical Safety Program - The Electrical Safety Program (ESP) was created to comply with electrical systems regulatory requirements to ensure that energized electrical work at Purdue University facilities is performed safely by qualified electrical workers who are provided with appropriate safe work procedures, protective equipment, and other controls.
- Excavation Safety Program - The Excavation Safety Program document was written to address safety and health hazards associated with performing trenching and excavation related work.(2010)
- Hazard Communication Program Written Compliance Manual - Also known as "Tab 1" of the DTI Training Manual, contains the outline for Purdue University's Hazard Communication Program as well as the requirements and expectations of the OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200. This standard applies to areas with non-laboratory use of hazardous chemicals.
- Hazardous Material Shipping Policy and Procedures
- Hazardous Waste Disposal Guidelines - This booklet provides all Purdue University employees with information related to the accumulating, labeling, and removal of hazardous waste and surplus chemicals. Hazardous waste removal must be requested on a waste pick-up request form. Staff members may request blank pick-up request forms and copies of the Guidelines from Lanie Hazlewood. (2003)
- Hearing Conservation Program - This manual is designed to protect employees from hearing damage that may occur from exposure to excessive sound pressure levels. (2003)
- Integrated Safety Plan (ISP) - The ISP is a strategic plan for safety at Purdue. It provides a structure to communicate environmental, health and safety issues across the organization.
- Laser Safety Guidelines - This manual is designed to provide individuals using lasers information on laser hazards, laser-related policies and procedures, recommendations for the safe use of lasers, and laser safety training. (2006)
- Mercury Reduction Policy
- Mercury Spill Information and Response Guidance
- Minors in Research Laboratories or Animal Facilities (Guidance Document & Approval Form)
- The purpose of this document is to provide guidance for University faculty and staff wishing to offer />
educational opportunities in research labs or animal facilities to minor children ages 15 –17. (2010)
- Nanoparticle Safety and Health Guidelines - This document provides environmental health and safety guidelines for small scale research projects involving nanoparticles.
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Policy - This policy implements the personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements of the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, 29 CFR 1910.132 - 29 CFR 1910.140. This policy applies to the use of personal protective equipment at the West Lafayette Campus, regional Campuses, University Research Farms and Agricultural Centers, related facilities and operations. (2003)
- Radiation Safety Manual - This document covers the Federal, State, and University requirements and expectations related to Purdue University's use and storage of radioisotopes. (2006)
- Refrigerant Compliance Policy (CFC Compliance) - This document outlines the program that Purdue University will use to comply with the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) requirements outlined in the Clean Air Act, Title VI - Protection of Stratospheric Ozone, 40 CFR Part 82.
- Respiratory Protection Program - Any questions about inhalation exposure(s) or situations that can create a potential for an inhalation exposure are addressed in this manual. You must follow the guidelines and procedures put forth in this document to ensure your safety. (2013)
- Sharps and Infectious Waste: Handling and Disposal Guidelines -This document is for laboratory employees that routinely work with sharps and building services personnel who handle wastes are at risk of being punctured or lacerated during their workday. It is important to properly handle and dispose of this type of waste material in order to prevent injury and potential disease transmission. (2002)