The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training class provides entry level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illness.
This class is a blended learning class that requires a pre-course skills test as well as both online learning and on-site learning.
Participants must complete the pre-course skills session and on-line training components to be eligible for in-class participation.
Review Class Only (Must Be Currently Certified In Lifeguarding)
- Dates: August 23, 2014 (Registration deadline: August 14).
- Days/Times: Saturday 12–8pm.
- Cost: $65 (plus an additional $35 to the American Red Cross).
- Required Pre-course Skills Test: Friday, September 5, 7–8pm
- Class Dates: September 12-14 (Registration deadline: September 3).
- Days/Times: Friday-Sunday; 5-10pm Friday, 9am–6pm Saturday and Sunday.
- Cost: $90 Purdue Students/$120 Non-students (plus an additional $35 to the American Red Cross).
Course Pre-requisites Requirements:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates.
may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Candidates should place their hands under the armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. The face.
may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed. Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the face at or near the surface so they are able to get a breath. Candidates should not swim the distance under water. Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.