The Lifeguard Instructor course incorporates online and classroom components that focus on knowledge, administration, teaching, and evaluating skills for success in teaching the American Red Cross Lifeguard Training class.
- Minimum age of 17.
- Posses a current American Red Cross Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certificate or equivalent.
- Successfully complete the online Pre-course session including Orientation to the American Red Cross (redcross.org) and Orientation to the Lifeguarding Program, which includes a Pre-course Exam. Must complete online section prior to start of class date to be eligible for in-class participation!
- Successfully perform all of the skills in the lifeguard instructor pre-course session. The skills in the pre-course session include swimming, lifeguarding, first aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer skills.
- Dates: April 17-19 (Registration deadline: April 3).
- Days/Times: Friday 5–10pm, Saturday and Sunday 9am–6pm.
- Cost: $95 Purdue Students/$160 Non-Students (plus $35 processing fee to the American Red Cross).
Water Safety Instructor
The American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor course is designed to prepare instructor candidates to plan, prepare, and teach the Red Cross Swimming and Water Safety program. The course focuses on teaching concepts, strategies, best practice steps and progressions, along with tips to ensure participant’s success.
- Minimum of age 16 by end of course.
- Successful completion of pre-course session, consisting of tests of swimming skills including a 25 yard demonstration of front crawl, back crawl, breast stroke, side stroke, elementary backstroke, butterfly, floating, treading, surface dives, and flip turns.