In 1894, the newly built Heavilon Hall — which was then the home of Purdue engineering — was dedicated. Tragically, four days after the dedication a fire destroyed this new campus landmark.
Purdue President James A. Smart rallied spirits on campus by declaring that Heavilon Hall and its tower would be rebuilt “one brick higher.” The new building was completed the following year. Smart’s rallying cry inspired the Purdue community at a time of great challenge and will propel us forward as we embrace No Ordinary Time … Extraordinary Opportunities.