March 3, 2014
I have put together a short FAQ with regard to items discussed at our recent meeting. I have included a brief summary of cost breakdowns and strategies to complete a survey of doors on the West Lafayette campus.
What type of information does the lock shop keep record of?
- The Lock Shop keeps the keying strategies and the biting information for all academic and athletic facilities.
- Keying strategies identify the manufacture, the keyway and what biting is in the cylinder.
- Biting information is how many pins and the sizes.
- The lock shop does not track who is in physical possession of keys across campus, that responsibility is held at the department level in each of the buildings.
What reports can be generated from the lock shop Mechanical Room Key Control Program?
- Reports can be generated that identify Purdue employees in possession of a key that allows entry into mechanical spaces in all academic buildings (all mechanical spaces with the exception of main electrical vaults).
- This does not include mechanical rooms located in athletic facilities nor does it include residence halls mechanical spaces.
What is the estimated average cost of installing lockable hardware on a typical door?
- A typical office or classroom door that would need the locking hardware changed out would on average cost $500.00 to replace.
Estimated cost to survey door hardware throughout campus based on 5 minutes per door at a labor rate of $8.00 per hour:
- $35,000.00 Survey labor Cost
- This labor estimate is based on SMAS information that shows 41,204 doors on campus, which appears to include academic, athletic, and residence hall facilities. This number does not include doors at the farm locations for the West Lafayette campus.
- This labor estimate would need to incorporate 12 temporary student workers to accomplish in the 12 week summer period.
- This labor estimate assumes there will no interruptions to their survey work i.e. (we are comfortable issuing building master keys to temp student workers, office areas closed for some reason, building services has area shut down for cleaning, construction projects restrict their ability to access areas, students unable to enter due to safety or security requirements that they do not have…..)
Strategy for completing survey
- $6,500.00 Data Entry Cost
- Work with SMAS to amend their spreadsheet to suit the data we need to collect in order for us to build a usable database of campus door hardware.
- Hire student workers.
- Train student workers to include identifying different functions of locks.
- Transfer data from student surveys into the database (Will need an additional 2 students, 8 hrs. per day, for 12 weeks at a cost of $6,500.00).
Lock, Carpentry, Sheet Metal, and Welding Shop Supervisor
Purdue University / Physical Facilities
775 Ahlers Road
West Lafayette, IN 47907