The Department Head Leadership Program helps prepare new department heads for the responsibilities and challenges they confront as departmental leaders. While the program is designed for those recently appointed to their positions, more experienced department heads are encouraged and welcome to attend. The year-long program sponsored by the Office of the Provost addresses a variety of topics including communication and team building, budgeting, promotion and tenure, conflict management, succession planning, legal and ethical issues, difficult faculty, strategic planning, facilitating faculty success, conflict of interest policies, and Purdue's organizational structure.
The monthly sessions include case studies, discussions of relevant readings, peer to peer learning, advice from veteran department heads, and talks from experts both inside and outside the University. The goal of the program is to offer leadership learning in a safe, comfortable environment where successes, failures and challenges can be shared, new heads can learn from peers and other experts, and relevant knowledge can be disseminated and discussed.
(all sessions are from 3:00-4:30 p.m. except where otherwise noted)
- October 19, 2011 STEW 320 Promotion and Tenure: Concerns of Non-tenure Faculty
- November 29, 2011 HOVD 119 Tips for Veteran Department Heads
- December 13, 2011 HOVD 119 Working with Deans and Administration
- January 26, 2012 HOVD 119 Budgets
- February 13, 2012 STEW 320 Faculty Development: Recruitment, Evaluation, Retention, Mentoring
- March 21, 2012 HOVD 119 Dealing with Difficult Faculty
- April 24, 2012 HOVD 119 Alumni Relations and Development Opportunities
- May 24, 2012 HOVD 119 Harassment and Discrimination
- June 21, 2012 HOVD 119 Meet the Provost: Meeting the Challenges of the Strategic Plan Cancelled
- July 12, 2012, 1:30-3:00 p.m. HOVD 119 Meet the Provost: Meeting the Challenges of the Strategic Plan
For more information about the Department Head Leadership Program, please contact:
Steven R. Abel
Associate Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs