Service Recognition Program for Clerical and Service Staffs (VPBS 64)
OFFICE OF THE BUSINESS MANAGER AND ASSISTANT TREASURER
WEST LAFAYETTE, INDIANA 47907
March 8, 1960
To: Deans, Directors and Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments and Offices
Re: BUSINESS OFFICE MEMORANDUM NO. 64
Service Recognition Program for Clerical and Service Staffs
The University and its many employing departments and officials in administration and management positions should publicly recognize individuals on the Clerical and Service Staffs who have contributed to the accomplishments of the various departments and the University by their long service and tenure. A service recognition program will provide a strong, effective medium for strengthening associations between employees and the departments of the University, for increasing the interest of people in their jobs, for gaining loyalty of the people who are employed as well as their families and associates, and for reducing turnover. The program outlined and special recognition for those qualifying for retirement will improve morale and bring about a closer feeling of "belonging" and general good employee relations.
This program is not intended to interfere with any departmental program already in existence, and departmental programs are encouraged. Its purpose is to give special recognition to individuals with a greater number of years of service. Therefore, beginning at the twenty-five year period, recognition will be at the University level with differences in the awards as outlined in the procedures. Any specially designed pins, emblems, etc., now in use by departments should be continued,
Department heads are responsible for making presentations, for making arrangements for publicity and for social or office functions which may take place in recognizing the ten, fifteen, and twenty-year service people. A University-wide recognition will be used for those with twenty-five and more years of service. The awards to be made as part of this recognition will be pins, specially designed using the University crest or emblem with gold and black in the design, and with space provided for a numeral to properly designate the five-year service increment, beginning at ten years (10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, etc.).
All Clerical and Service Staff employees who have completed ten or more years of continuous employment are eligible to receive the award pin and recognition. An additional pin and recognition should be made to these people as they complete five-year increments of service thereafter.
- Continuous employment in one or more departments shall be ten years; however, seasonal or summer lay-offs for the convenience of the University shall be included in determining the length of employment.
- When there is more than one period of employment the current period for eligibility will be ten years, but after meeting this requirement, the total years of the periods should be used in determining the proper award to be given.
- Eligibility will be determined annually, and the presentation of awards made within a period during each calendar year.
- During the first year in which these awards are presented, all employees who have completed ten or more years of service will receive a pin indicating the five-year increment of service of which they are eligible; i. e., all those who have completed ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fourteen years will receive the ten year pin, all those who have completed fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen and nineteen years receive the fifteen-year pin, etc.
- The Clerical and Service Personnel Office will maintain records of length of service and will notify each department of the eligibility of the people employed in that department. The Clerical and Service Personnel Office will also be responsible for requisitioning and maintaining the supply of pins.
- Departmental recognition and presentation of pins should be made in the presence of staff groups, or as a part of staff meetings, social affairs, staff group parties, etc. Publicity, news releases, etc., should be handled through the Bureau of Information.
- University-wide recognition for, and presentation of pins to the people with twenty-five years or more of service may include the following: group pictures and publicity; presentation of pins by the President or his representative; special recognition dinner. Arrangements for this recognition will be made by the Clerical and Service Personnel Office.
- Presentations should be made during the months of October, November and December. In the last quarter of the calendar year most anniversary dates of employment are past.
After the first year, only those who complete the ten, fifteen, twenty, etc., periods will receive the appropriate pin.
L. J. Freehafer
Business Manager and Assistant Treasurer