Sick Leave Conversion Plan for Regular Clerical/Service Staff (VPBS 187)
OFFICE OF THE BUSINESS MANAGER AND ASSISTANT TREASURER
WEST LAFAYETTE, INDIANA 47907
November 15, 1991
To: Vice Presidents, Chancellors, Deans, Directors, and Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments and Offices
Re: BUSINESS OFFICE MEMORANDUM NO. 187
(Supersedes Memorandum 171, dated Mary 15, 1981)
Sick Leave Conversion Plan for Regular Clerical/Service Staff
Effective Date: November 8, 1991
A sick leave conversion benefit was implemented in May of 1981 for members of the regular clerical/service staff. It permitted the conversion of twenty-five percent (25%) of accrued and unused sick leave up to and including 520 hours, and one hundred percent of all hours between 521 and 1,000 at the time of official retirement from Purdue University or death.
At its meeting on November 8, 1991, the Board of Trustees approved removal of the 1,000 hour maximum for one hundred percent (100%) payment of accrued and unused sick leave.
Regular clerical/service staff, upon meeting the definition of an official University retiree as outlined in Executive Memorandum No. B-35, or death, shall be eligible to convert accrued unused sick leave to:
- CASH PAYMENT
- Twenty-five percent (25%) of all accrued unused hours up to and including 520 hours; and
- One hundred percent (100%) of hours over 520; AND
- EARLY RETIREMENT
- Convert one hundred percent (100%) of all accrued unused hours toward creditable service to qualify as an official University retiree.
- Hours to be paid to eligible employees under this policy should be reported as "sick leave, with pay" on the employee's final time slip, with the explanation "sick leave conversion".
- The employee's final payroll check will include a lump-sum payment for the converted sick leave hours reported.
Questions concerning the sick leave conversion plan should be directed to your Business Administrator or Department of Personnel Services for the West Lafayette campus. At the regional campuses, questions should be directed to your Personnel Manager.
Howard S. Lyon
Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer