Clerical and Service Staff Advisory Committee (VPBS 97)
OFFICE OF THE BUSINESS MANAGER AND ASSISTANT TREASURER
WEST LAFAYETTE, INDIANA 47907
November 15, 1993
To: Deans, Directors and Heads of Schools, Divisions, Departments and Offices
Re: BUSINESS OFFICE MEMORANDUM NO. 97
(Supersedes Memo 97 dated March 1, 1977)
Clerical and Service Staff Advisory Committee
Effective Date: December 1, 1993
In 1965, following approval from the President of the University, the Clerical and Service Staff Advisory committee was established. The purpose of this memorandum is to update Business Manager and Assistant Treasurer Memorandum No. 97 to reflect departmental reorganizations within the University.
- Purposes and Responsibilities of the Committee
- To provide members of the clerical and service staff with a means of representative participation through suggestion and advice in the formulation or change of policies affecting conditions of employment.
- To provide an effective means of communication between the clerical and service staff and the University administration.
- To act in an advisory capacity and make recommendations to the Department of Personnel Services which has the assigned responsibility for planning and recommending policies concerning personnel and staff benefits.
- The Committee shall consist of not less than ten (10), nor more than twenty-three (23) members of the clerical and service staff (representing "Districts" as defined in 5 below).
- The members from the West Lafayette campus shall be selected from the clerical and service staff who (1) are classified as "regular" employees; and (2) have indicated interest by completing an application for membership directed to the CSSAC Membership Committee. Candidate selection shall be made by the CSSAC Membership Committee.
New members will be officially appointed to the Committee by the Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer, based upon recommendations from the Director of Personnel Services and the CSSAC Membership Committee.
- The appointment of clerical and service staff from the West Lafayette campus to this Committee shall be for a three-year term beginning September 1 and ending August 31. Approximately one-third of the total membership shall be appointed each year.
- The Vice Chancellor responsible for business services of each regional campus may recommend to the Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer a clerical or service staff member to serve on the Committee for a term of one year beginning September 1 and ending August 31.
- The Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer and the Director of Personnel Services, shall serve as resource members and liaison with the University administration. A staff member from Personnel Services shall also serve as facilitator and recording secretary.
- Committee Activities
- The Committee shall serve as an advisory group as defined in 2 above.
- The Committee may elect a chairperson and/or vice chairperson(s) to serve in meetings with the administrative staff.
- The chairperson or vice chairperson(s) elected in 6(b) above may appoint standing or ad hoc special committees from among its membership to study and make recommendations to the Committee. The chairperson may request assistance from members of the University staff in the Committee's deliberations.
- Meetings shall be called at reasonable times and places. Members have the responsibility of arranging with their supervisors and/or department heads for attendance at meetings. Supervisors and/or department heads shall arrange work schedules to permit members of the Committee to attend meetings in pay status.
- Orientation of Matters for Committee Attention
Subject matter for discussion and action by the Committee may originate by any of the following methods:
- By any individual staff member either:
- through a member of the Committee; or
- by placing a written and signed statement of the matter on file with the Committee.
- By any group of staff members in the same manner prescribed in 7(a) above.
- By the University administration from any of its officers, department heads, heads of offices or chairperson(s) of duly appointed University committees.
- By any individual staff member either:
- Regional Campus Committees
The policy of Purdue University is to receive, seek, and consider suggestions and advice from University staff in the formulation of policies and in the solution of problems affecting their conditions of employment.
This Committee is known as the Clerical and Service Staff Advisory Committee (CSSAC).
Generally, representation implies that Committee members will initiate contact and communications with clerical and service staff members in their respective districts. District representation shall be proportionate to the number of clerical and service staff in schools, divisions, departments and offices in the following groups of organizations:
Academic schools and divisions reporting to the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs and Director of Intercollegiate Athletics.
Offices of the Board of Trustees, President, Executive Vice President and Treasurer, Internal Audit and Director of Investments. All departments reporting to the Vice President for Business Services and Assistant Treasurer, Vice President for Development, Vice President for Human Relations, Vice President for Management Information and Long Range Budget Planning, Vice President for State Relations and Vice President for University Relations.
All departments reporting to the Vice President for Physical Facilities.
All departments reporting to the Vice President for Housing and Food Services.
All offices and departments of the Calumet, Fort Wayne and North Central campuses.
The Calumet, Fort Wayne, and North Central campuses may establish or continue, as the case may be, their own Clerical and Service Staff Advisory Committees. The number of members, terms of appointments, selection of chairperson, etc., will be determined by the needs and preferences of each campus.
Kenneth P. Bums
Vice President for
Business Services and