Pathway to Purdue is a partnership between the Purdue University College of Agriculture and Ivy Tech Community College-Lafayette designed to help make higher education even more accessible to Indiana students. The program allows Ivy Tech students to co-enroll at Purdue in preparation for an undergraduate degree in the College of Agriculture. Pathway students will take courses simultaneously at both institutions with the goal of earning a Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture from Purdue.
Students will participate in activities to support their academic development and have all the benefits of full-time students at both institutions. On the Purdue campus that includes access to libraries, student housing, recreational facilities (for an additional fee), computer labs, student organizations, and athletic events.
The program serves approximately 30 students each year. At this time, Pathway to Purdue is limited to students who wish to study agriculture. It is also only available through the Ivy Tech - Lafayette and Purdue University - West Lafayette.
Pathway students will take the majority of their general education courses as full-time students at Ivy Tech. Concurrently, they will take at least one course each fall and spring semester as non-degree-seeking students at Purdue.
Pathway students who live in Purdue student residences will have access to residence hall parking permits as well as free access to Greater Lafayette's CityBus public transportation system.
Transferring to Purdue
Criteria for a Pathway student to transfer from Ivy Tech to Purdue:
- Complete the requirements for an associate degree in agriculture at Ivy Tech
- Submit a final high school transcript
- Submit a final Ivy Tech transcript
- Submit any additional transcripts from other institutions attended since high school graduation
- Earn a cumulative 2.5 GPA or better (Some Purdue Agriculture majors may require a higher GPA.)
- Earn at least a 2.0 grade in each course at each institution
- Complete four Purdue agriculture courses on the West Lafayette campus
- Meet high school subject matter expectations
While Pathway students must apply for admission to Purdue as transfer students, they will not need to pay an application fee. If students meet all of the criteria above, admission into Purdue's College of Agriculture is guaranteed.
Once transferred, a student pays Purdue’s tuition rates and receives financial aid from Purdue.
Purdue Agricultural Majors
While most of the Purdue agriculture majors work with the plan as described above, there are some that are more difficult to transfer into from Ivy Tech.
It is not advisable to use the Pathway to Purdue program to transfer into the following majors:
- Agricultural Engineering - XEAG
- Biological and Food Process Engineering - BFPE
- Biological Engineering - BIEN
- Environmental and Natural Resources Engineering - ENRE
- Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences - FAQS
- Forestry - FORS
- Wildlife - WLDL
The following programs may work with the Pathway to Purdue with careful course selection during the first two years. Please contact the Purdue department advisor for guidance:
- Landscape Architecture - LARC
- Natural Resources Planning and Decision Making - NRPL