Phone: (765) 494-9494
Purdue West Shopping Plaza
1404 W. State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2092
Phone: (765) 743-3442
Terminal Building, Room 201
1501 Aviation Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907
Car/Van Rental: 765-494-2114
Charter Bus: 765-494-6550
After Hours: 800-213-3626
Physical Facilities Service
775 Ahlers Drive
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2013
Safety Tips and Carpool Etiquette
- Carpooling does not require that you have a car, but it does require that you can be dependable, on time, and considerate of your fellow carpoolers.
- At the very beginning of the carpool certain issues should be discussed and decisions made. Issues that should be settled immediately include members' feelings about the radio, conversation, smoking habits', reading, and eating.
- When sharing driving duties, rotate daily, weekly, or monthly, but develop a firm, regular schedule.
- If needed, agree in advance on reimbursement for driving expenses, and then set regular payment schedules.
- Make a "clean car" policy and stick to it. The car that carries you to and from work should be clean, safe, comfortable, and regularly serviced.
- Be Punctual! This applies to both drivers and riders. Wait a predetermined amount for each passenger and then drive on. Don't honk for your passengers. Honking is not good for the neighbors, especially early in the morning.
- Establish a chain of communication and a backup carpool plan.
- Drive safely. Speeding, taking chances or just plain negligence should never be tolerated.
- Discuss your carpool plans with your insurance agent. Liability coverage is usually adequate but make sure of it. Many companies offer reduced rates for carpoolers.
- Practice good personal hygiene and be willing to modify your personal habits.