See also: Vehicle Use Policy
University staff may rent fleet vehicles for approved university activities throughout the United States and Canada.
All staff renting vehicles must bring an original Form 1 signed by their business office or department head, dean or director, and a valid U.S. or Canadian driver's license. In addition, rental of 12 passenger vans require the driver to present a signed Van Agreement with the Form 1.
Estimates will be provided upon request (494-2114). Estimates will be based on your planned trip. Charges are based on actual miles and usage.
- Seven Passenger Van
- Eight Passenger Van
- Wheelchair Accessible Lift Van
- Twelve Passenger Van - For on campus use only
Passenger Van Operator Guide Program
Risk Management has launched a new, online van training program. The training is accessible through WebCert, a certification tool currently used for University training programs.
The training includes an updated video explaining the risks inherent with operating larger vehicles. The video is followed by a short quiz to confirm the participant’s understanding of the material presented. After successfully completing the quiz, users are presented with an online certificate to print for their personal records.
A list of drivers who have successfully completed van training will be included in the Approved Driver Database, accessible from Risk Management’s Vehicle Use Info website.
Van training is valid for one year. But to operate a van on University business, drivers who successfully complete van training must also meet the minimum driver qualification as defined in the Use of Vehicles for University Business Policy.
The training also can be accessed from Risk Management’s Vehicle Use Info website. To open the WebCert login page, click the Van Training Program link under the “Resources” header. Users may log in with their Career Account and password, then scroll down and select “Risk Management,” then “Purdue Passenger Van Training” to open the training video. After viewing the video, participant can select “ Enter Test” to access the short quiz. Most participants should be able to watch the video and complete the quiz in 30 minutes or less, Risk Management says.
Risk Management offers the following reminders related to van training:
- Employees who operate 12- and 15-passenger sized vans, regardless of the number of passengers onboard, must complete the passenger van training program prior to operating a van on University Business.
- Students and volunteers who operate ANY SIZE van must be at least 20 years of age, have at least two years of licensed driving experience, and must complete van training.
- Departments are responsible for ensuring that their van drivers have completed the required training before approving travel that involves the use of a van.
See the current rates.
To make a reservation the following information will be required:
- Type of vehicle desired and any special needs
- Driver's Name
- Departure Date and Time (See pickup times below)
- Return Date and Time
- Estimated Total Miles
- Number of passengers
- Seat removal information
- Caller's Name, Phone Number and Department
- Towing/Hitch required – see Towing below
Make Reservations as far in advance as possible. To make reservations:
- Call 494-2114
- Due to the limited number of vans available, reservations cannot be made by fax or email.
A Form 1 (Purdue University Vehicle Request) with original signatures is required at the time of pickup before the vehicle will be released.
- Charges are per day and per mile, plus parking, tolls, seat removal, towing and miscellaneous.
- Daily and long term arrangements are available. Long term vehicle rental arrangements are available for a period of three months or longer. Call 494-2115 for more details and current rates.
If a towing vehicle is requested with plans to tow, please review Guidelines for Towing a Trailer and complete a Weight Specifications/Verification Worksheet, please call 494-2114 to have towing request reviewed by Shop Manager prior to reservation The towing charge will be added to the per mile charge of a vehicle when that vehicle is towing a trailer or other equipment. Income from this mileage charge will offset the additional fuel, maintenance, set-up and repair expenses incurred when equipment is towed.
If seat removal requests are made, the removal fee will be added to the vehicle rental billing.
Parking and Tolls
Parking and tolls, with receipts, are reimbursed to the driver and recharged to the renting department.
Other miscellaneous charges include additional cleaning and/or repairs as required.
Notify Transportation Service of any changes regarding the scheduled trip, or to confirm reservations (494-2114).
Notification of trip cancellations must be phoned in at least 24 hours prior to the planned the vehicle pick-up time specified.
Driver Qualification and Authorization
- All persons who will operate a Vehicle on University business or for any other University purpose must meet the Qualification Requirements and Procedures Application to all drivers as outlined in section 1.1 in the Vehicle Use Policy.
- Vehicle Use Policy
The Form 1 requires a driver's certification. By signing for the vehicle and noting the state and expiration of the operator's license, the driver certifies:
- Possession of a valid United States or Canadian driver's license.
- Only approved drivers, who meet all requirements, are authorized to drive the vehicle.
- The vehicle will be used only for approved university business.
- The vehicle will be driven in accordance with state and local laws and regulations, and in a courteous manner that represents Purdue University.
Pick Up Times
- The Transportation Service office is open from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm, Monday through Friday, and 7:00 am to 11:00 am on Saturday.
- For trips beginning before 7:00am Tuesday through Saturday, vehicles can be picked up between 5:00pm and 6:00pm the night before.
- For trips departing between 11:00am Saturday and 7:00am Monday, vehicles can be picked up between 7:00am and 11:00am on the preceding Saturday.
Note: Transportation Service office hours are adjusted around University holidays. Please call if your departure time is near an official University holiday.
Vehicle Return Procedure
- Vehicles should be returned to Transportation Service by the date and time stated on the Form 1.
- Park the vehicle in the lot to the south of Physical Facilities Service Building (PFSB).
- Check interior and trunk for personal items. Items found will be kept at TMB for two weeks before sending them to Central Lost and Found.
- The fuel tank does not need to be returned full.
- During office hours bring the odometer reading (not the trip meter) into the office along with any parking or toll receipts.
- After office hours place key case containing all parking or toll receipts in the drop box (located to the right of main office door). Reimbursement for parking and tolls will be campus mailed to you.
- Alert Transportation staff of any mechanical problems, or other concerns you have regarding the vehicle.
- Report accidents, or damage to the vehicle immediately.
How to Rent Purdue Transportation Vehicles