What is Banner?
- A package of applications that combine administrative and academic functions to make it easy to manage data strategically while giving prospective students, current students, and faculty secure online access to the information they need.
- A tightly integrated suite that features an open application programming interface (API) that supports integration among key campus functions (e.g., learning management, housing, one-card, library, e-procurement, and bookstore systems).
- A system providing increased security without compromising data access. It uses multiple ID management to prevent the accidental creation of duplicate IDs.
- Purdue will be implementing Banner 7.3.
- Click on the modules below to learn more.
Banner Student fuses administrative and academic functions, making it easier to manage data. It is the cornerstone of all Banner components.
Key modules include:
- Academic Records/Transfer Articulation
- Accounts Receivable
- Class Schedule
- Course Catalog
- Degree Audit
- Events Management
- Faculty Load
- General Person
- General Student
- Location Management and Housing (This module will only be used to interface Banner with the residential management system currently used by Housing and Food Services.)
Banner Financial Aid
The self-service capabilities of Banner Financial Aid enable students to complete financial aid requirements; accept, decrease, and reject awards; and communicate with the Division of Financial Aid over the Internet.
It allows students to see the balance of their remaining work-study eligibility and communicate with a financial aid advisor.
Banner Financial Aid supports receipt of FAFSA, data corrections, and disbursement processing with the U.S. Department of Education.
Banner Luminis (portal)
Luminis is the portal to Banner.
The Luminis platform's publish-and-subscribe model helps to personalize portal content to the role, interests, and needs of individual users while allowing them to subscribe to information channels of their choice.
Institutions can convert almost any Web-based information or application into an information channel using the platform's content and layout formats.
Students, faculty, advisors, and staff will use Luminis to access all Banner information.
Banner Web for Students
Banner Web for Students will enable students to apply for admission, register for classes, retrieve financial aid data, and make online payments on their own schedules.
Students will have self-service access to dynamic course catalogs, grades, admissions, account balances, address verification, transcripts, and degree evaluations.
Banner Web for Faculty and Staff
Banner Web for Faculty and Advisors will provide secure access to the information needed to manage course information and advise students.
This module's channels include:
- Faculty Schedule: classroom and/or office-hour commitments formatted in a weekly or daily view
- Advisor Dashboard: an easy tool for searching for an advisee or student
- Faculty Dashboard: listings of active classes, e-mail tools, and access to class information within Faculty Self-Service
- Faculty Grade Assignment: view of assigned classes open for grading
Operational Data Store
The Operational Data Store (ODS) helps transform massive amounts of data within one's administrative systems into consistent, institution-wide reports.
It will lead to greater reporting accuracy and consistency by adhering to common business concepts across Purdue.
ODS helps optimize the value of current institutional data and generates the reports decision makers and users need.
Enterprise Data Warehouse
The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) gives organizational decision makers secure, online, and self-service access to reliable historical data.
EDW is an extension of the Operational Data Store (ODS) with additional reporting capabilities. ODS contains current operational data formatted for ease of ad hoc reporting, whereas EDW contains detailed, historical data transformed into formats to support ease of analytical reporting and analysis.
Using Banner Workflow, administrators, faculty, and staff can access workflows and complete assignments with a supported Web browser.
Workflow's automated processes allow business events to trigger user notifications, business process logic, external or internal e-mails, and automated activities.
Banner Document Management Suite (previously know as Xtender)
Banner Document Management Suite provides imaging, document management, data capture, storage management, output capture and report management on a departmental and universitywide basis.
It eliminates many tedious manual tasks. For example, when new student information (e.g., a letter of recommendation) is scanned, the system will update the student's Banner admissions checklist.
A Web-based report distribution and archiving system, e~Print Reports:
- Uses Internet technology to distribute reports across an organization or around the world.
- Eliminates or reduces central printing by allowing users to view reports instantly using a Web browser.
- Creates report archives on CD-ROMs, thus allowing users to make multiple archive copies of reports for audit or storage.
- Eliminates the cost of microfiche and paper storage.