Opportunities for Graduate Assistants
The OEPP offers graduate students with an interest in English as a Second Language (ESL) many opportunities to further their own research interests in a dynamic environment devoted to assisting others. Our instructional and testing staff is comprised mostly of graduate teaching assistants, many themselves international graduate students. Teaching assistants in our program are employed in one of the following positions. Please note that we do not necessarily have positions currently available; however, we welcome you to submit an application for consideration for future openings.
- Classroom Instructor (20 hours per week)
- Tutorial Instructor (10 hours per week)
- Testing Office Assistant (10 or 20 hours per week)
In addition, the OEPP has resources available in support of research in such areas as language acquisition and language testing.
In the OEPP we are always looking for ways to improve what we do. We welcome, encourage and support TA participation in these efforts by offering opportunities to:
- receive travel grants to help fund participation in professional conferences;
- develop our course curriculum;
- assist with special projects as needed. Past projects have included converting OEPP instructional materials to a computer-based system, developing rater-training materials, revising instructor and tutorial manuals, and participating in a comprehensive study of the employment of ITAs on campus.
The OEPP is an ideal environment for students to grow academically and professionally while supporting others in their efforts to do the same.
We welcome applications from Purdue graduate students who would like to work in our unique program. However, please be aware that the number of applications received each semester generally exceeds the number of assistantships we are able to offer.
- Staffing decisions are usually made in March for the fall and summer semester, and mid-to late October for the spring semester. However, positions occasionally become available when our staff's plans change or as enrollment figures dictate. Therefore, it is wise for interested applicants to keep in touch with us periodically via email.
- If you are an applicant to Purdue's Second Language Studies Program, be sure to indicate this in the Statement of Purpose you are required to submit as part of your graduate application packet.