Transitioning from a warrior (Battlemind) perspective to that of civilian life, specifically the classroom, can be difficult. Often veterans feel vulnerable and that feeling is unacceptable in military life. In the classroom however, as in civilian life, we (veterans) cannot walk around with our weapons to keep us safe. The warrior community has to transform itself to live peacefully among strangers, who may have the outward appearance of our previous enemies.
The Veterans Association of Purdue consists of veterans of all wars, especially the most recent and longstanding Iraq/Afghanistan wars (OIF/OEF). We have veteran volunteers to show you around campus and help familiarize yourself with your new life from your first day on campus. We have a blog at http://purdue.edu/purdueveterans which has discussion groups, news, and lobby sections. VAP is also associated with other Indiana and student veterans groups, national institutions, and the Military Family Resource Institute at www.cfs.purdue.edu/mfri. We are now participating in Operation Diploma and Operation Yellow Ribbon. We are here to help you navigate and exist to help you graduate. For individual or group concerns, feel free to contact Karen Fraser-Mills at 494-1747 or 494-1251. For more information about either Operation Yellow Ribbon, visit the registrar’s office at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 765-494-7638. For Operation Diploma, we are generating a new website in our office to be announced in the very near future.
Resources for Veterans
Returning OEF/OIF/OND members and what VA can do fo you:
- Returning OEF/OIF/OND members and what VA can do fo you: http://www.seamlesstransition.va.gov/
- Yellow Ribbon Program: http://www.gibill.va.gov/School_Info/yellow_ribbon/index.htm
- Family Assistance Center - To inform and support families before, during and after a deployment. http://www.dfas.mil/
- New Deployment (PMD) - Free tax filing service beginning 01/08/13. http://www.militaryonesource.mil/
- Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS)