Jump to other news and events
Purdue Dean of Students Logo
Facebook Twitter Google+ YouTube 

Academic Renewal

Academic renewal is a recalculation of the Scholastic Indices.

  1. All courses that comprise the Academic Record prior to Re-entry or Readmission will receive zero credit, are not included in the credit hour total, and make zero contribution to the calculation of the Program GPA or the Cumulative GPA.
  2. The original Course grade record will remain unchanged on the transcript.
  3. The Academic Renewal Policy shall be a Purdue University policy and be independent of the student's School or College.
  4. Academic Renewal applies to students who have been admitted to the University under the current University Standards and Policies for Re-Entry or Readmission and have not been enrolled at Purdue University in the preceding five years.
  5. Students must petition the faculty Committee on Scholastic Delinquencies and Readmission (CSDR) to have their Scholastic Indices recalculated using the Academic Renewal Policy. This recalculation will not be implemented unless the student is in good standing according to University policy, and has completed at least 12 credit hours after Re-Entry or Readmission. The petition for recalculation of the Scholastic Indices must be made by students within one full year from the start of the semester in which they are readmitted or granted Re-Entry.
  6. Academic Renewal may only be granted once for a student.
  7. The faculty CSDR will administer the Academic Renewal Policy.

Do you qualify for Academic Renewal?

  1. Have you been readmitted or reentered to the West Lafayette campus within the last 12 months?
  2. Did you return or will you be returning to West Lafayette campus after having been away from Purdue for at least five years?
  3. Would it be advantageous for you to have your prior course credits and academic indices zeroed out of your record at Purdue and not have them counted toward your current curriculum requirements? (We recommend that you consult with your academic advisor prior to answering this question.)
  4. Have you completed or will you soon complete at least 12 credit hours at the West Lafayette campus?
  5. If you have completed course work, are you able to continue in good standing?

If you answered yes to all of these questions you may qualify for Academic Renewal. For more information or to start the Academic Renewal process, please call the Office of the Dean of Students at 765-494-1747.

NOTICE: Keep in mind that Academic Renewal will have no impact on your status with the Division of Financial Aid. If you have questions about financial aid eligibility Division of Financial Aid counselors are available Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. by telephone (765-494-5050) or in person (Schleman Hall Room 305) or via email at facontact@purdue.edu.