March 4, 2016
Extension program to teach food safety practices
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - A series of workshops by Purdue Extension will help produce marketers better understand food safety practices so they can lower the risk of contamination by a foodborne illness.
“On-Farm Food Safety for Produce Direct Marketers” teaches produce marketers a basic understanding of food safety and good agricultural practices, known as GAPs.
“While direct marketers may or may not be affected by recent food safety legislation, all growers who sell produce into the public food supply face the same responsibility to make sure products are grown in such a way that the risk of contamination by a foodborne pathogen is minimized,” said Scott Monroe, food safety educator for Purdue Extension. “Our program is designed for those who are selling directly to the consumer through roadside stands, farmers markets or other direct-marketing venues. Producers who have previously attended a full-day GAPs A to Z program will find this two-hour program to be a review of that material.”
A two-hour webinar will be given Tuesday (March 8) at 6:30 p.m. EST for participants to watch from a home computer or at one of four Purdue Extension sites. The program is also being offered through several Purdue Extension County offices on various dates.
Webinar locations and contact information:
* LaPorte County Extension Office, 2857 W. state Route 2, LaPorte. For questions, contact Gene Matzat at 219-324-9407.
* Blackford County Extension Office, 119 N. High St., Hartford City. Contact: Steve King, 765-348-3213.
* Monroe County Extension Office, 3400 S. Walnut St., Bloomington. Contact: Amy Thompson, 812-349-2575.
* Warrick County Courthouse, 107 W. Locust St., Booneville. Contact: Amanda Mosiman, 812-897-6101.
In addition, workshops on the same topic will be held on the following dates, with location, times and contact information (all times local):
* March 15: Jefferson County Extension Office, 3757 N. state Route 256, Madison; 6:30 p.m.; Lonnie Mason, 812-265-8919.
* March 23: Allen County Extension Office, 4001 Crescent Ave., Fort Wayne; 9 a.m.; James Wolff at 260-481-6826.
* March 24: Kosciusko County Extension Office, 202 W. Main St., Warsaw; 6:30 p.m.; Kelly Heckaman, 574-372-2340.
* April 5: Harrison County Extension Office, 247 Atwood St., Corydon; 6 p.m.; Miranda Ulery, 812-738-4236.
* April 26: Morgan County Administration Building, 180 S. Main St., Martinsville; 7 p.m.; Amanda Dickson, 765-342-1010.
* April 28: Posey County Fairgrounds, 111 Harmony Township Road, New Harmony; time to be announced. Jon Neufelder, 812-838-1331.
There is no cost to attend a webinar or an on-site program. Registration, required in advance, is available at http://bit.ly/1nhXZyt. For any additional questions, contact Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-886-0198.
Writer: Megan Tarter, 765-496-6734, email@example.com
Source: Scott Monroe, 812-886-0198, firstname.lastname@example.org