Traffic information updated for Stars and Stripes celebration
July 1, 2015
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Due to heavy rains over the last several days in Greater Lafayette, some parking and routing around Purdue’s campus has changed for Saturday’s July 4 celebration.
The Airport Parking lot (P3), which was the primary parking area for those coming after the music just to view the fireworks, will not be used, Purdue police chief John Cox said. In its place, the McCutcheon Parking Garage will be used.
Additionally, State Street between McCutcheon and U.S. 231, as well as Airport Road between State Street and U.S. 231, will be open for traffic. They were originally to be closed during the event.
The Stars & Stripes celebration will take place at Slayter Center, and some 25,000 people are expected to attend. It will include musical performances and close with the traditional fireworks show. Purdue’s safety and security team, with assistance from West Lafayette, Lafayette and Tippecanoe County agencies, have put traffic flow, parking and safety plans in place.
The event has been held the last five years at Riehle Plaza in downtown Lafayette. However, due to construction there, it was moved back to Slayter this year.
Beginning at 7 p.m., musical performances will lead up to the scheduled fireworks at approximately 10-10:15 p.m. Performances include:
* 7 p.m. Purdue Summer Jazz Band.
* 7:45 p.m. Tippecanoe Ancient Fife and Drum Corps.
* 8 p.m. Lafayette Citizens Band.
* 9 p.m. Long Center All-Star Show Choir.
* 9:15 p.m. Lafayette Citizens Band concert.
* Fireworks display will close the evening.
Glass containers, pets, fireworks or any type of incendiary fireworks or explosive devices, including firearms, will not be allowed on site, Cox said. A first aid station, lost and found, and public information will be available at the Purdue police/fire mobile command center behind the Slayter stage, located near Stadium Avenue and Martin Jischke Drive.
The large-scale event will mean road closures throughout the afternoon and evening around the campus area, Cox said.
Road closures include:
* Third Street between MacArthur Drive and McCormick Road. Closed from 1 p.m. until an hour after the fireworks have ended.
* McCutcheon Drive at the McCutcheon Parking Garage. Closed from 1 p.m. until an hour after the fireworks have ended.
* Stadium Avenue between McCormick Road and David Ross Road. Closed from 7 p.m. until the conclusion of the fireworks.
* McCormick Road between Fairway Lane and State Street. Closed from 9 p.m. until after the conclusion of the fireworks.
General parking locations to which motorists will be directed are:
* The France A. Córdova Recreational Sports Center parking lot (P1). Police will try to fill that lot first.
* North Stadium lot (P2). Those who want to come for the concert and stay for the fireworks are encouraged to park here.
* McCutcheon Parking Garage (P3). This is a primary parking area for those that are coming later just to view the fireworks.
The Nimitz Drive parking lot (P4) will be used as extra parking should the P1, P2 and P3 lots reach capacity, Cox said.
Cox said two handicapped parking locations also would be available. Those are:
* West Owen Hall parking lot. This is close to the concert area and fireworks viewing area.
* North Section of the McCutcheon Parking Garage. Fireworks viewing will be available on the garage’s top deck. An ADA accessible elevator is available in the garage.
Assisting the Purdue Police and Fire departments are Purdue’s Radiological and Environmental Management, Purdue’s Safety and Security, Purdue’s Office of Emergency Preparedness and Planning, Purdue Physical Facilities, Buildings and Grounds, as well as the West Lafayette Police and Fire departments, Lafayette police, Tippecanoe County Sheriff’s Office, and members of Tippecanoe County Emergency Management.
Writer: Jim Bush, 765-494-2077, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sources: Mike Piggott, Stars & Stripes co-chair, 765 494-9386, email@example.com
John Cox, 765-494-8221, firstname.lastname@example.org
Updated maps for inbound/outbound traffic and parking: https://news.uns.purdue.edu/images/2015/stars-stripes-maps.pdf