Purdue ag placement rates continue annual upward trend
April 15, 2015
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Ninety-six percent of May 2014 Purdue University College of Agriculture graduates responding to a survey reported finding jobs or were continuing their education. It was the fifth consecutive year of increase in the placement rate.
The survey reflects an improving job market as well as continued strong value of a Purdue Agriculture education, said Marcos Fernandez, associate dean and director of the college's academic programs.
"Purdue Agriculture has a proven reputation of educating and preparing our students well - to be job-ready," Fernandez said. "And our successful Ag Career Fairs – the second-largest in the country - and strong placement rates are a testament to how others feel about our students and graduates. It is a great time to be part of Purdue Agriculture."
The college awarded bachelor's degrees to 501 students in May 2014. That is up from 426 the previous year and 399 in 2010, when the nation was struggling to recover from the Great Recession and the placement rate was 77 percent.
The college's summary of post-graduation activities tracked students with bachelor's degrees until February of this year. Ninety-three percent of graduates responded.
The average starting salary for College of Agriculture graduates was $43,200 a year. Agricultural and biological engineering graduates received the most, an average of $55,405.
The report also shows that:
* Sixty-nine percent reported working in a regular position and 5 percent in an employed internship.
* Of the 74 percent employed, more than half - 183 - were working in Indiana.
* Twenty-two percent were continuing their education, with 13 percent going on to graduate school, 8 percent to professional schools and 1 percent to another undergraduate program.
* Of the 101 students continuing their education, nearly half, or 49, were enrolled in Indiana schools.
* Of the 4 percent unemployed, half said they were seeking employment and half said they were not.
Writer: Keith Robinson, 765-494-2722, email@example.com
Source: Marcos Fernandez, 765-494-8472, firstname.lastname@example.org