Appointments, honors and activities
April 25, 2014
• Faculty and staff honors:
- Mark Diekman, professor of animal sciences, has been selected to receive the Academic Advising Administrator Certificate of Merit from the National Academic Advising Association. The recognition is presented to individuals who have demonstrated qualities in administration of outstanding academic advising. As chair of the animal sciences department's undergraduate program, Diekman trains advisers and also advises students directly. The association promotes excellent academic advising and professional development among its more than 10,000 members to enhance the educational development of students.
- John Gipson, academic adviser and student program specialist in the College of Health and Human Sciences, has been selected as a 2014 National Academic Advising Association Student Research Award winner in the master's category. NACADA student research awards recognize research that significantly adds to the body of knowledge on academic advising. The association promotes excellent academic advising and professional development among its more than 10,000 members to enhance the educational development of students.
- Purdue University's School of Hospitality and Tourism Management has named the first inductees into its HTM Hall of Fame. The first four members of the Hall of Fame are:
* J.W. "Bill" Marriott Jr., executive chairman and chairman of the board, Marriott International. He has taken the company to 3,700 hotels in 73 countries and territories with more than 300,000 employees. He graduated from the University of Utah and holds an honorary doctorate from Purdue.
* Dan Finn, formerly with Marriott International for 26 years. His last position was vice president of global human resources business process management. He also was executive director of human resources for the Archdiocese of Washington. He has been a guest lecturer at Purdue for more than 25 years. He earned a bachelor's degree in industrial management from Purdue in 1972.
* Bill Edmundson, who has more than 50 years experience in the food and beverage industry. He has been with Fred Harvey Co., Greyhound Food Management, Ogden Corp., Aramark, The Wood Co., and Tenacity Inc. He earned a degree in institutional management from Purdue in 1962. He has been a member of HTM's Strategic Alliance Committee since its inception.
* Bruce White, founder, chairman and CEO of White Lodging, a developer, owner and manager of premium brand hotels. The company has 160 hotels in 20 states and 9,000 employees. He is a member of the Purdue Board of Trustees. He is a graduate of Purdue, the Harvard Graduate School of Business O.P.M. Program and has an honorary doctorate of business administration in hospitality management from Johnson & Wales University.More information on the inductees is available at http://www.purdue.edu/hhs/htm/about/awards/inductees.php