December 18, 2013
Fort Wayne Farm Show offers educational sessions, trade show
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - Farmers, agribusinesses professionals and agricultural youth can learn from Purdue Extension experts on Jan. 14-16 during the 2014 Fort Wayne Farm Show.
The free event, which features a trade show and educational sessions, will be at the Allen County War Memorial Coliseum, 4000 Parnell Ave., Fort Wayne, Ind. The facility charges $5 for parking.
Celebrating its 25th anniversary, the show will be open to the public from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Jan. 14, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Jan. 15 and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Jan. 16.
"Most folks come to walk around the show and see exhibits. Having some educational seminars adds to the overall value of the show," said Steve Engleking, an event organizer and LaGrange County Extension educator. "It's a win-win for all. We pull some folks into the show, and we pull in people ready to take a break from walking around."
Purdue Extension and the Northeastern Indiana Soil and Water Conservation Districts sponsor the educational seminars presented by experts from both public- and private-sector organizations.
Purdue Extension presentations, dates and times:
* "Cover Crops from Beginning to End" by Travis Legleiter, weed specialist. Continuing education units (CEU), Private Applicator Recertification Program (PARP) credits and commercial pesticide applicator (CCH) credits will be available for $10.
* "Grain and Livestock Market Outlook" by Chris Hurt, agricultural economist.
* "Apps for Ag and Big Data Issues" by Kevin Smith, Purdue Agricultural Communication consultant and editor.
* "Recreational Pond Management and Liability" by Bill Horan, Wells County educator.
* "Irrigation on Heavier Soils" by Lyndon Kelley, Purdue and Michigan State Extension irrigation specialist.
Additional topics include crop insurance and marketing, rules of the road for agriculture, soil health, and a weather outlook.
Indiana Farm Bureau will sponsor a lunch session, titled "Protecting Agriculture's Rights to Water," at 11:30 a.m. Jan. 15. Only 175 meals will be available on a first-come basis.
For more information, visit http://www.tradexpos.com/ftwayne.
Writer: Amanda Gee, 765-494-8402, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Steve Engleking, 260-499-6334, email@example.com