Appointments, honors and activities
November 8, 2013
• Appointments and promotions:
- Scott Downey has been named associate director of the Purdue Center for Professional Selling in the Department of Consumer Science. Downey is an associate professor in the Department of Agricultural Economics, where he teaches courses in sales and marketing. He also is associate director of the Center for Food and Agricultural Business. He has been at Purdue since 2000 after spending 15 years in the financial services industry. He earned his bachelor's degree at Purdue and has an MBA from California Polytechnic State University. The Purdue Center for Professional Selling serves students from all majors across campus who are interested in careers in professional sales.
• Faculty and staff honors:
- Joe Anderson, head of Purdue University's Department of Agronomy, has been accepted for the Food Systems Leadership Institute, a two-year executive leadership development program for academia, industry and government. He begins work with the institute this fall. The institute enhances personal and professional development by emphasizing leadership competencies, skills for organizational change and a broad, interdisciplinary perspective of food systems. The institute is a program of the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities, with the initial funding provided by the W.K. Kellogg Foundation.
- Jennifer Asbury, an environmental technician with Radiological and Environmental Management, recently received the 2013 Tim Sullivan Memorial Award for outstanding service in food protection at the Indiana Environmental Health Association fall meeting. Asbury was recognized for her role in advancing the Indiana State Department of Health tablet-based inspection system and for implementation of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration voluntary national retail food regulatory program standards. She also was recognized for her role in the investigation of a possible foodborne illness and subsequent presentations to food safety professionals.
- Todd Wetzel, director of Purdue Convocations, served as a member of the jury last month for the final round of the Concert Artists Guild's 2013 Victory Elmaleh International Competition in New York City. For more than 10 years, Convocations has offered a performance prize to winners of the competition, presenting them in concert on the Convocations series and hosting them for educational residence activities in the area. This was Wetzel's fourth appearance as a member of the jury.