October 18, 2013
Appointments, honors and activities
• Appointments and promotions:
- Michael Beach is the manager of Boiler Television. He has extensive experience in audio and HD video production as well as many years in customer service with Zurich Financial Services group. He earned a bachelor's degree in telecommunications from Ball State University and an MBA from Indiana Wesleyan University.
• Campus activities:
- Purdue's College of Technology on Feb. 1, 2014 is hosting the regional competition for the Phoenix Contact Nanoline Contest in which student teams build machines or devices highlighting the capability of Phoenix Contact controllers. Teams must register by Oct. 18. For more information and to register, go to https://tech.purdue.edu/newsroom/nanoline-2014-contest-deadline-oct-18. The contest provides equipment and money to build the machines. Winning teams advance to the national championship in Pennsylvania in February.
- John Buzacott, professor emeritus of the Schulich School of Business at York University in Toronto, will give the Moshe M. Barash Memorial Lecture at 2:30 p.m. Oct. 25 at Krannert Auditorium. The talk, which is free and open to the public, is titled "The Evolution of OR: From Operational Research to OM and Policy Analysis." Buzacott is a scholar and expert in manufacturing systems, operations management, and services. The Moshe M. Barash lecture is named for the late Ransburg Professor Emeritus of Manufacturing Engineering and Industrial Engineering. A leader in the field of manufacturing science and engineering, Barash retired from Purdue in 1992 and died in 2006. Among his major contributions was his pioneering research into the use of computers for factory planning and scheduling, including automatic process planning and computerized manufacturing systems. Barash also made significant contributions to the automated design of manufacturing systems, precision engineering, robot applications, and computer-aided manufacturing.
• Faculty and staff honors:
- Jamie Schoenbeck-Walsh and Stephen Adams received teaching awards during the recent College of Veterinary Medicine's fall conference. Schoenbeck-Walsh, a veterinary technology program instructor and academic adviser, received the Elanco Veterinary Technology Outstanding Teaching Award. Recipients of the award are determined by a vote by veterinary technology students. Her combined 26 years of experience includes private practice work and four years on staff in the Purdue Veterinary Teaching Hospital. Adams, professor of large animal surgery, received the Raymond E. Plue Outstanding Teacher Award. The award was created to reward outstanding teachers who make an extra effort to influence and inspire students. The recipient is selected from nominations made by alumni in the three most recent graduating classes. Adams joined the PVM faculty in 1978. He earned his DVM degree at Cornell University and completed an internship and residency in large animal surgery at Purdue. Board certified by the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Adams has served as president of the ACVS in 2010. For more on the awards, visit http://vet.purdue.edu/2013fallconference-review/index.php
- Purdue University professor of agronomy and cropping systems Extension specialist Tony Vyn has been elected a fellow of the Crop Science Society of America. He will receive his fellowship on Nov. 6 at the international scientific society's annual meeting in Tampa, Fla. Members of the society nominate colleagues based on their professional achievements and meritorious service. The Crop Science Society of America, founded in 1955, is composed of more than 6,000 members.
• Alumni honors:
- Andrea Pearman has received the 2013 Women in Business Champion Award from the Northwest Indiana Small Business Development Center. A graduate of Purdue University Calumet, Pearman is the CEO of Diversified Marketing Strategies and is editor-in-chief of "Building Indiana" magazine. She also is executive director of the Northwest Indiana Business Roundtable. The award was part of the center's 22nd annual Entrepreneurial Excellence Awards.