June 14, 2013
Save the dates: Purdue agricultural centers to host August field days
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Purdue Agricultural Centers throughout Indiana will host field days in August to provide commodity producers, crop advisers and community members more information on farm management topics.
Five field days are scheduled to give participants an inside look at Purdue Agriculture and Extension research projects and to provide more information about topics such as weed, insect and disease management. Attendance is free.
"The real importance of the Purdue Agricultural Centers is outreach - disseminating information about applied research studies performed at the centers," said Jerry Fankhauser, PAC director.
The field days also offer opportunities for commodity producers, crop advisers and commercial and private pesticide applicators to earn continuing education hours required for their certifications. There is an additional charge for continuing education credit.
Among the field day speakers are Purdue Extension specialists. The events give participants the chance to visit with Purdue faculty and staff to learn more about university research and ways to apply the information on their own farms. Participants will be able to tour research plots.
Dates for the 2013 field days:
* Aug. 15: Northeast PAC, Columbia City. Contact: Ed Farris, Purdue Extension educator in Huntington County, 260-358-4826.
* Aug. 21: Southern Indiana PAC, Dubois. This field day will have a special focus on beef cattle. Contact: Mark Hilton, Purdue University large-animal veterinarian, 765-494-8559; or the Dubois County office of Purdue Extension, at 812-482-1782.
* Aug. 21: Pinney PAC, Wanatah. Contact: Lyndsay Ploehn, Purdue Extension associate in Porter County, 219-465-3555, or Gene Matzat, Purdue Extension educator in LaPorte County, 219-324-9407.
* Aug. 22: Southeast PAC, Butlerville. Contact: Don Biehle, superintendent, 812-458-6977.
* Aug. 27: Davis PAC, Farmland. Contact: Jeff Boyer, superintendent, 765-468-8125.
Local Purdue Extension county offices will have more detailed information about field days and topics about a month before each event. Visit https://ag.purdue.edu/arp/pac to learn more about the Purdue Agricultural Centers.
Writer: Amanda Gee, 765-494-8402, firstname.lastname@example.org
Source: Jerry Fankhauser, 765-494-8368, email@example.com