Appointments, honors and activities
August 17, 2012
• Appointments and promotions:
- Tracy Grimm has joined the Purdue University Libraries as the inaugural Barron Hilton Flight and Space Exploration Archivist. Grimm is responsible for the management and development of the Barron Hilton Flight and Space Exploration Archives of the Virginia Kelly Karnes Archives and Special Collections Research Center.
A primary goal of the university archives is to develop this collection into an internationally renowned resource documenting and preserving the history of flight and space exploration. In addition to developing the collection, a primary focus of Grimm's work will be to engage students, faculty and K-12 audiences with the unique primary sources and personal stories of those individuals who have played a key role in Purdue's association with flight and space exploration - the scientists, engineers, astronauts, pilots, and faculty. Before coming to Purdue, Grimm was head of the Julian Samora Library at the Institute for Latino Studies at the University of Notre Dame. She has a master's degree from the University of Texas at Austin and a bachelor's degree from the College of Saint Rose in Albany, N.Y.
• Faculty and staff honors:
- Two Krannert School of Management professors and two alumni have been awarded the 2012 IDEA Foundational Paper Award from the Academy of Management's Entrepreneurship Division. The award honors a paper that has powerfully and positively changed the conversation in the field of entrepreneurship for at least a decade. The paper is "Survival of the Fittest: Entrepreneurial Human Capital and the Persistence of Underperforming Firms," published in 1997 in Administrative Science Quarterly. The authors are Tim Folta, associate professor of management; Arnold Cooper, Louis A. Weill Jr., Professor Emeritus; Carolyn Woo, who has Purdue bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees and is CEO and president of Catholic Relief Services; and Javier Gimeno, who has a Purdue doctoral degree and is the Aon Dirk Verbeek Chaired Professor in International Risk and Strategic Management at INSEAD international business school.
- Computer Science faculty member Charles Killian is the recipient of a sponsored research award from the fifth annual HP Labs Innovation Research Program for his project MaceKen: Productively Programming Bulletproof Scalable Data Center Applications. Killian's award was one of 60 granted to research projects from around the world that are conducting collaborative research in a wide variety of disciplines, including cloud technology, health care, information analytics, and social media.