Purdue retirees honor Department of Nutrition Science
June 20, 2012
WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue’s Department of Nutrition Science has won the 2012 Arthur G. Hansen Recognition Award for its relationship with its retirees.
The award, sponsored by the Purdue University Retirees Association and the Office of the President, was presented (Tuesday) June 19 to Connie Weaver, head of the department and a distinguished professor of foods and nutrition, at the university's annual retirement banquet in Purdue Memorial Union. Nutrition Science received a trophy and will be listed on a plaque in the corridor of the Union. The award also includes $2,500, funded by TIAA-CREF, to be used to help strengthen the department's ties to its retirees.
The award is named for Arthur Hansen, Purdue's eighth president, who established the retirees' association in 1976. The award is given annually to a Purdue school, department, office or division that cultivates and maintains meaningful relationships with its retirees.
Professor Emerita Olivia Bennett Wood nominated the department for fostering retirees’ involvement the following ways:
* Annual lectureships on campus in honor of retired faculty, such as the Avanelle Kirksey Lecture Series.
* Induction of up to five professionals each year into Nutrition Science's Hall of Fame. The inductees may be alumni, retirees, donors or honored professionals in nutrition science or a related field.
* Invitations to retirees and spouses for celebrations of major awards and professional honors, weekly and special seminars, educational functions, lab lunches and social events.
* A semi-annual newsletter sent to all alumni, current and retired staff, and friends of the department.
* A retiree email list that keeps retirees informed of activities and events.
Writer: Jeanne Norberg, 765-494-2084; firstname.lastname@example.org