Save the dates: Open enrollment begins next week
October 19, 2015
Open enrollment provides an annual opportunity for faculty and staff to review benefit offerings and make choices for the upcoming year. This year's open enrollment begins Oct. 26 and ends at 6 p.m. ET Nov. 13. Benefit selections made during this period go into effect on Jan. 1.
Throughout this three-week time frame, employees can use several tools and resources to ease them through the open enrollment process. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
* Start the open enrollment process early: Don't wait until the last minute.
* Certify tobacco-user status: Even if an employee doesn't change plans from last year, he or she is asked to certify tobacco-user status each year to potentially avoid an additional premium amount to their medical and additional term life premiums.
* Remember to review HSA or FSA contributions: Take advantage of the pre-tax savings.
* Review beneficiaries: Open enrollment is the perfect time to review and update beneficiaries.
* Don't stress: There will be open enrollment sessions, labs and additional resources to assist employees and help ensure they choose the plan that is best suited for them and their family.
A special open enrollment issue of HR Connect will be delivered this week. Open enrollment guides will be available the week of Oct. 26, and additional resources -- including walk-in labs and presentations -- and communications will follow.
Benefits are an important part of Purdue employees' total compensation. Benefits staff members are committed to providing excellent customer service and resources -- during open enrollment and all year -- to help employees and their families best use these valuable programs.