MLK committee planning activities for January celebration
October 26, 2015
The Office of Diversity and Inclusion has begun organizing activities in honor of Martin Luther King Day.
Jeffrey Roberts, dean of the College of Science, and Renee Thomas, director of the Black Cultural Center, are co-chairing the MLK committee at Purdue West Lafayette. The committee, composed of faculty, staff, students and community members, will plan a series of events in celebration of the holiday, including a day of service on Jan. 18, which is the holiday, and a keynote lecture on Jan. 19.
"Since 1994, the MLK holiday has been an opportunity for volunteer service to make a difference in our communities," says Venetria Patton, provost fellow for diversity and inclusion. "We encourage the entire campus community to participate in one or more of these upcoming events as we ask with Dr. King, 'What are you doing for others?'"
Members of the MLK celebration committee are:
* David Ayers, associate dean of international programs.
* Felica Ahasteen-Bryant, director, Native American Educational and Cultural Center.
* Michele Baker, administrative assistant, College of Health and Human Sciences.
* Suzanne Bart, associate professor of chemistry.
* Carol Ben-Davies, assistant dean of students - diversity and inclusion.
* Harry Brown, associate director of the Purdue Student Leadership Initiative.
* Aurelio Curbelo , director, Latino Cultural Center.
* Nadine Dolby, professor of curriculum and instruction.
* James J. Foster, Living Truth of Christ Church.
* Alex Francis, associate professor of speech, language, and hearing sciences.
* Edray Goins, associate professor of mathematics.
* Melissa Gruver, assistant dean of students - civic engagement and leadership development, Student Activities and Organizations.
* Charles Hawthorne, undergraduate student, College of Agriculture.
* Nancy Hewison, associate dean for planning and administration and professor, Purdue University Libraries.
* Carolyn Johnson, director, Diversity Resource Office.
* Yava Jones-Hall, assistant professor of comparative pathobiology.
* Lowell Kane, director, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Center.
* Keturah Nix, graduate teaching assistant, School of Interdisciplinary Studies.
* Bradley Pace, St. John's Episcopal Church.
* Vanessa Pacheco, civic engagement program specialist, Student Activities and Organizations.
* Jeffrey Roberts (co-chair), dean of the College of Science.
* Rob Schrump, Purdue Christian Campus House.
* Valeria Sinclair-Chapman, associate professor of political science and director, Center for Research on Diversity and Inclusion.
* Renee Thomas (co-chair), director, Black Cultural Center.
* Rick Whitlock, Riverside Covenant Church.
* Johanna Wu, Baha'i Community of West Lafayette.
For more information, contact Renee Thomas at email@example.com.