Retirement investment help available
July 31, 2014
Faculty and staff looking for guidance on how to save and invest for their retirement have expert service available to them through Fidelity as part of Purdue's retirement program.
"We partnered with Fidelity to offer a full range of services from analyzing current retirement portfolios to helping with investment and retirement planning decisions," says Susan Morgan Davis, benefit programs consultant in Human Resources.
In 2011, Fidelity became Purdue's official provider of education, guidance and assistance related to retirement plan investments and decisions. For those with pre-2011 retirement funds in a TIAA-CREF account, similar services are available without cost to participants from Fidelity's West Lafayette office. Although other organizations may be advertising retirement services and calling or emailing our employees, Purdue does not have business relationships with, nor does it endorse, other financial advisors.
Fidelity has representatives at the West Lafayette campus to talk with any faculty or staff member; PERF participants are also welcome to visit. Representatives are also regularly available at the regional campuses.
"We encourage our faculty and staff to take advantage of Fidelity's expertise before they consider paying additional fees for outside assistance," Davis says.
Fidelity's guidance is objective, according to Davis, who points out that no Fidelity funds are included in investment tiers 1-3 of Purdue's retirement plan, therefore eliminating any conflict of interest.
Fidelity offers confidential consultations to all interested faculty and staff. During an appointment, Fidelity can guide participants in a variety of ways, including:
* Starting to save for retirement.
* Reviewing investment options.
* Assessing if the participant is on track with his or her retirement goals.
* Creating a retirement income plan.
* Consolidating retirement accounts from multiple financial investment sources.To schedule a one-on-one appointment, go to Fidelity's Purdue-dedicated website at www.plan.fidelity.com/purdue and click "Schedule an appointment" in the "Get guidance" box on the right-hand side of the screen.