March 28, 2014
Value Your Health Week starts Monday
Expert speakers, the Right Price game by Castlight Health and the Value Your Health Information Fair are just part of the fun coming next week for Purdue faculty, staff and their spouses/same-sex domestic partners.
Value Your Health Week starts Monday and runs through Friday (March 31-April 4). "The tagline for the week is 'Smart health. Smart money. Smart you.' and that's really what this week is all about," says Eva Nodine, director of benefits in Human Resources.
"We want to help people make smart health care choices and spend their health care dollars wisely," Nodine says. "For example, we don't want people to do without appropriate health care just to avoid spending money. That can be a very costly mistake to both their health and their bank accounts."
The week's full schedule, plus health care consumer education and tips, is at www.purdue.edu/hr/value, the Value Your Health website. The site also offers more about the Right Price game and the fair, which runs noon-4 p.m. Tuesday and 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesday.
Employees may attend events in paid status with their supervisor’s approval.
Through the sponsorship of Anthem and Castlight Health, speakers will be on campus to share information that can help individuals enhance their health care consumer skills.
* Dr. David Lee of Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Indiana will present "Bringing Health Care Value to You" at 10 a.m. Tuesday in Purdue Memorial Union, East and West Faculty Lounges. Refreshments and a prize drawing for a Fitbit Flex, a slim activity-tracking wristband, will be provided by Anthem.
* Karla Ross from the Purdue School of Nursing and Scott Matthews of Castlight Health will talk about the benefits resulting when a person's spouse/same-sex domestic partner is supportive in health care efforts and decisions. Their "Health Care is a Family Affair" session will be at 10 a.m. Wednesday in Stewart Center, Room 214 AB. Refreshments, provided by Anthem and Delta Dental, will be available next door at the Value Your Health Information Fair in Stewart Center, Room 214 CD.
* Peter Hayes of Healthcare Solutions will speak on "The Road to Value" at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday in Purdue Memorial Union, East and West Faculty Lounges. Refreshments will be provided by Castlight Health. A prize drawing for a Fitbit Flex, awarded by Anthem, will take place at the end of the presentation.
In addition to Ross, who is speaking with Matthews from Castlight Health, other Purdue speakers and their presentations will include:
* Kamal Singh, the Center for Healthy Living's registered pharmacist: Singh will explain what medication therapy management is and how it can benefit patients who take a variety of prescription drugs. Session will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday in Stewart Center, Room 214 AB. Refreshments, provided by Anthem and Delta Dental, will be available next door at the Value Your Health Information Fair in Stewart Center, Room 214 CD.
* Debra Crume-Nagel and Cheryl Laszynski, health coaches at the Center for Healthy Living: They will talk about what happens during a health coaching session and the benefits clients can gain by working with a health coach. Session will be noon-12:50 p.m. Thursday at the Center for Healthy Living, Purdue West Shopping Plaza. To register, call the center at 49-45505.* Janine Gulbranson, outreach specialist in Human Resources: Gulbranson will offer two sessions. One will cover tips for being a good health care consumer and the other will talk about how to best manage your high-deductible medical plan and your health savings account (HSA). Each session will be presented once on Thursday and once on Friday. For exact times and locations, see the Value Your Health website at www.purdue.edu/hr/value.