November 12, 2013
Interactive Web guide provides information about eligibility for health savings account
Participating in one of Purdue's two 2014 high-deductible medical plans qualifies employees for a health savings account (HSA), but IRS rules may cause an employee to be ineligible for an HSA or affect the tax status of the employee's account.
Faculty and staff in any of the categories below should use the Interactive HSA Guide to see if IRS rules affect their eligibility for an HSA:
* Same-sex domestic partners
* Faculty and staff age 64 or older in 2014
* J-1 visa holders
* Faculty and staff with medical insurance coverage outside Purdue
More information about HSA eligibility is available through the following resources:* HSA frequently asked questions on the Benefits website
* HR Connect article titled "Does Uncle Sam approve of your HSA?"
* Human Resources Service Center at 49-42222, email@example.com or HR Help