Thousands enjoy Spring Fling; thanks extended to volunteers
May 30, 2013
Several thousand faculty, staff and retirees enjoyed Spring Fling, the annual employee appreciation event held this year on May 23.
Entertainment, including exercise sessions and various activities, kept attendees engaged throughout the afternoon. Some enjoyed the fitness walk, the vehicle show and bingo, among other events.
More than 885 enjoyed the fitness walk and will receive a medal featuring the Neil Armstrong statue outside of Purdue's Neil Armstrong Hall.
The Ackerman Hills and Kampen golf courses hosted a total of 109 golfers.
Eighteen vehicles were on display. This included cars, trucks, motorcycles and special interest vehicles. Winners will be posted online at www.purdue.edu/springfling.
Carrie Hanson, training manager in Human Resources and chair of Spring Fling 2013, offers thanks to all of the individuals who volunteered to help make Spring Fling possible:
* All participants in the volleyball tournament, golf, vehicle show, yoga, Zumba, fitness walk and bingo.
* Staff from the Division of Recreational Sports who directed and set up needed facilities and equipment.
* Staff from Housing and Food Services who prepared the food.
* Staff from Wiley Dining Court, Food Stores, and Meredith Hall who assisted the recreation center staff in setup and tear down.
* Staff from Food Stores and Meredith Hall who delivered the food.
* Staff from Cary TT who coordinated the popcorn.
* Staff from Meredith Hall who coordinated the carryout from Meredith Hall.
* Staff from Hillenbrand Hall who set up the tent.
* All staff and retirees who volunteered to serve food, soda, popcorn, and ice cream. Also those who volunteered to help set up and tear down.
* Staff from the University Residences Directors Office who coordinated staff volunteers.
* Physical Facilities grounds staff who handled trash and recycling equipment, and set up informational signs.
* Physical Facilities staff from Materials Distribution Services who provided helium to fill the balloons.
*Purdue Police and Fire staff who maintained access and safety in areas surrounding the Co-Rec.
* Members of the Purdue University Retirees Association, which sponsored the food drive.
* Staff, retirees, and members of the Wabash Wanderers who helped with the fitness walk.
* Clerical and Service Staff Advisory Committee members who coordinated bingo.
* Administrative and Professional Staff Advisory Committee members who distributed cups.
* Areas and departments that donated prizes for bingo.
* Thanks also to everyone who was able to donate blood and/or food this year.
* All members of the Spring Fling coordinating committee: Sally Baugues, University Residences Directors Office; Jeris Eikenberry, PURA; Michael Ellis, Meredith Residence Hall; Cheryl Files, CSSAC, Linda Foster, Human Resources; Amanda Hamon, Office of Marketing and Media; Carrie Hanson, Human Resources; Jon Laswell, APSAC; Shellie Lawson, APSAC, Marta Read, Purdue Extended Campus; Keene Red Elk, Purdue Police Department; Pat Russell, Human Resources; Kim Sagendorf, Human Resources; Katie Tarter, Central Production Kitchen; Luke Versprille, Division of Recreational Sports; Sharon S. Williams, Human Resources.
Spring Fling door prize winners
Several faculty and staff were winners in the annual Spring Fling door prize drawings.
A list of prizes and winners of the prizes will be posted online at www.purdue.edu/springfling.